🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Does this seem right

Started by
19 comments, last by gamesmaster2 21 years, 11 months ago
Hey thanks TechnoHydra (smooth name by the way you mind if I use that as a boss).I think that''s a pretty good idea as long as the good stuff is in chests somewhere evertime.I think that can actually work and not be terribly hard to program either.Thanks everyone for talking with me .The story is coming along.I''m looking at all the advice I was given and seeing which ones I can incorporate into the story.Since it''s just at the story stage right now and we''re just getting around to making some of the sprites anything is fair game.Thank you all again and good luck on your projects as well.

The road to hell is paved in good intentions
Advertisement
It would be neat if the academy was like the training station in Ender''s game / Ender''s Shadow.
I''m afraid I never played that one.Please tell me what you mean

They r not games, they r books. Describing what i mean may take a while. You should read them or at least reviews about them.
Yeah go ahead and use the name if you''d like. About the chests, I imagine that if you had a list of contents you wanted in the academy you could have the game pick an item for a chest randomly and mark the that item off the list so it''s not used again. Then it would just move onto the next one until all the chests or items were done. That way you could control what items are available without having to control exactly where they''re put. Hope you keep your enthusiasm for the project long enough to see it develope into the full game.
Thanks TechnoHydra.Yeah I get worried about that too.But I had this thing in my head for so long.Normally things don''t stay with me this long but this one here is something I keep coming back to.I would love to see it on the computer screen.So I really think I will see this project to the end.As for your suggestion I was thinking the same thing.It sounds like that part would be easy enough to program.I wonder why no one else thought of it before.It would solve alot of redundancy in games.Hold on I just thought up an aswer.If you made it where you switch contents to the boxes everytime you played then you couldn''t sell those nifty game guide books later on.But I don''t care so I''m going with the random treasure box idea heh.Walkthroughs be damned!!

There you go make them work for it. Have you thought of setting up a simple website for the game? It might help you stay focused if you had to update it often. Plus it''s a good way to organize the design document, and any concept art you might make for it.
Yeah I''m working on it.It''s nowhere complete enough to let you have the url but I have started on it.While I was making the story I would draw the characters.I think my character designs are pretty good.I might have to surrender some control though since it is becoming abundantly clear that I have a long ways to go as far as creating good sprites.So I might have to find someone to do that part for me.

I must say that it is a good game idea.

One way to make the Wrenworth event more important is if you have a character who is dear to Tamara in the hot seat during the event. The most suitable person might be her mentor. This way, you might also be able to add a training mission with her mentor before she goes off to Tul''me. It could be a short tutorial type event which shows the new user how the game functions.

So for the Wrenworth event, the downed soldier could tell Tamara that her mentor went down alone to the command post and he/she is heavily outnumbered. (You might be able to work in the teleporter thing here - If you come on foot, you don''t make it in time to save her mentor, etc).

Hope this helps a little.
Yeah, you might have the mentor being held captive by the section boss enemy in the basement command center. You go down there fight and defeat the enemy, and as the enemy''s last act it kills the mentor. I would suggest making the mentor an older man with a white beard that always seems to bear more weight in the emotional attachment department. That just compounds with the lose of the base.

Another thing I''ve seen in some games that I liked is the idea of acomplishing your mission then jumping into the characters future where you find out it didn''t end there. Can''t remember which SNES game I played where it jumped ahead half a year or so. By this time some had married and life had gone on. But now they were all thrown back into the fray. FF3 also did something like this. Bout halfway through the world gets ripped to shreds and you jump can''t remember how long into the future. Just some ideas for plot development.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement