🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Just how many people are serious in game writing?

Started by
15 comments, last by skybrother 21 years, 10 months ago
I had finished a 50,000-words novel (not in English) two years ago, though not published yet, because people said it is the world description rather than a story. I was afflicted at the first moment but then realized that there are many stories around but very few original worlds. Right now I have elaborated two sci-fi world pre-stories based on that book and one fantasy world pre-story based on my another upcoming book (hopefully it will be published, because it has actual storyline).
Advertisement
I''m serious. I consider a good story in a game to be one of the most important things (single-player, at least - imagine Half-Life or Deus Ex without the story...), and I''ve always enjoyed writing for pleasure anyway.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

quote: Original post by Kylotan
How does your screenplay show game-specific features? Or is it just the equivalent of a lot of cut-scenes and fixed dialogue?

I''m serious about writing, but I''m not doing it as a screenplay. The game will be too non-linear for that. Only a few certain events will lend themselves to that type of presentation.

Besides which, my current project is a strategy/sim game, and the writing there will just be quest descriptions, not any kind of story.

Well, my game is non-linear between the scenes. The screenplay is only for the main plot. As for the game-specific feature, that''s on a separate setting sheet.

Struggling in converting something of mind to something of paper...
I''ll try to get our story up as soon as my project gets to that point... but my story has MANY possible plot threads! Who on earth would want to read through them all!?

Right now I''m busy working on interface design. Soon I''ll be doing world description. After that comes character backgrounds, then a plot outline, and THEN a complete script. If I make it that far, I''ve already demonstrated myself to be stubborn enough to actually start coding.

Duran Strife: Brainless, but deep
I usually end up focusing more on design then a linear story. Then as I add races, characters, companies, governments, etc I write a history and description of each. If the game was going to be an online game then it couldn''t really have a linear story, just a background. Unless its a quest of course.
i''m not serious!
Let you go...
the more ambitions you have, the higher you can fall.
Motivation is a great power, but keep in mind that it won''t last ever!
i''m wondering if it''s good english...
More important than motivation is dedication.

The way I deal with non-linear stories is by creating the ''true'' story, the way I created it in the first place. From there I create a new file with the ways a story can change direction, where it starts and where it leads.

----------

I rule, you drool!

----------

"If the whole world was out to get you... they would have gotten you by now."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement