🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Fantasy RTS

Started by
25 comments, last by elendil67 21 years, 10 months ago
Kylotan: I know I wouldn''t be able to secure a deal with those people, or for that matter actually make a game of this scope, but it just sounds like a cool idea. I was just wondering how copyright laws work with the whole Tolkien thing.

.elendil67
When you go homeTell them of us, and say:For your tomorrow,We gave our today.
Advertisement
I don''t think you will get in trouble if you don''t sell it..

Though I could be mistaking.
Nothing''s impossible. Christopher Tolkien or whoever currently owns the rights has clearly recently licensed the rights to a number of entities including 1) Whatever studio''s making the movies, 2) Games Workshop - who have a new line of miniatures games based on it, 3) All of those other gits with merchandising deals around the movies. It costs, though.

One thing, If you base it around the universe as portrayed in the movie you have to go to Miramax or whoever it is. If you base it off the book you have to go to whatever company is managing the rights of the original Tolkein works (not sure who). I know Games Workshop licensed through the movie studio - and all their stuff gets approved through them.

I think all that''s right.
Michael
quote: Original post by Snash
I don''t think you will get in trouble if you don''t sell it..

Though I could be mistaking.

Thanks Snash and Mearrin. Does anyone know for sure about if you don''t sell it? Thanks.

.elendil67
Well. You CAN get in trouble even if you don''t sell it. You''d still *technically* be in violation of copyright laws. Question really is whether the owners would see you as a big enough fish to bother frying. Dunno the answer to that one.

A good f''rinstance is Paramount threatening all of the fan-driven Star Trek sites with legal action a while back - even though they weren''t making money from Paramount''s assets (just worshipping them, lol). The story I heard was that they figured they''d have more traffic if they culled out the fan sites.

So, a bit of politics like that could well make your Tolkien clone free game a target for whomever owns the rights. If you have any lawyer friends you could check with them - hate to see you put in a bunch of time on something to see it shelved because of something stupid like that.

Damn copyright laws get in the way of everything. Too bad his writing isn''t public domain. Does anyone have any link for info on copyright laws or anything?

.elendil67
Nothing I can remember, though I''ve seen a lot online. Just Google it I guess.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement