🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Games with well developed plots

Started by
22 comments, last by Wicked Ewok 21 years, 10 months ago
I like the guy who said Grim Fandango...

going with Lucas Arts games,
they made a game called ''The Dig''
it was adapted from a book by sci-fi writer Alan Dean Foster.

this game definitely had a good story line, and you manage to get into the plot and mood, thanks to some cutscenes...

obviously, any game that has a solid basis in a well written plot or story-line can easily be presented and packaged very well and stay interesting to the player.

-geo
Advertisement
deus ex started out great but ran out of steam long before the end, and i HATED HATED HATED the way the different endings were given as simply a set of choices in one end level. couldn''t they have diverged a few levels earlier and had one ending for each of the paths?

after finishing deus ex i had one of those moments of enlightenment and rewrote my own plot to diverge unrecoverably 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through. i think this will give replay more impact.

A Problem Worthy of Attack
Proves It''s Worth by Fighting Back
spraff.net: don't laugh, I'm still just starting...
Final Fnatsy 6 has to be me favorite game story. SOmone here said that it was very cliched: In my opinion it''s not a cliche if you''re the one who introduces it into the genre. Square has been one of the pioneers in fantasy rpgs.

Chrono Trigger has to be one of the best game stories ever.

Final Fantasy Tactics is good from what I''ve seen if it, but it''s extremely deep and complicated, it may lose some players because of this.

I have to mention Grandia 2. I found this game started off with an awesome story, but really went downhill as it went on. Things they hinted at and never followed through on really disappointed me, and various situations later on made less and less sense in the game''s world. It wasn''t a terrible game, but they could ahve done better with the story.

Metal Gear Solid has the be the action game that had the best plot for me, though I havn''t played many in the genre.
The first game that pops out of my mind is Xenogear, a quite substantial plot. However, that does not mean it''s a well developed story.
Recently, I have just replayed FF7. Perhaps, it''s because I have just studied some dramatic screenplay techniques. The constant thrills and tensions just throw me out of the impression of Xenogears. It is a grabber.
One scene that I could still vividly remember is the first flash back of Cloud''s "made-up" memeory. He runs down to the baseman of Shira mansion. (As the music suddenly change from slow pace bell to fast pace tension theme, aka sephiroth''s theme.) Sephiroth''s abrupt metamorphesis of characterization (with tilting close-up camera angle) blows both Cloud''s and the gamer''s mind. Thus, the plot hangs the players into one of the many mysterious tensions in the game. The gamer asks, "what will happen next?"
On the other hand, Xenogears also have many suspenses. But, they were not represented as well as FF7 did in terms of theatre art (music and staging). It often leads the gamer to ask, "who is s/he", for example, "who is Id?", "who is Fei, and Garf, and Elly?" They are still tension, but they are not immediate.
In terms of Characterization, FF7 could have done better, especially the interaction between Cloud and Aerith. I did not feel as sad as it should be when Aerith died. Sometimes, there is some inconsistence in each character along the story line. (Can be good or bad) I guess it needs a little more text content.
Of course, I have noticed that I am rather off-topic here.
Both of them have wonderful plots among the many game I have played.
Struggling in converting something of mind to something of paper...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement