🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Demons, Gods and Magic(and that old cloaked man idea)

Started by
25 comments, last by Furion 21 years, 10 months ago
Whoops!! i reread your post after posting and I forgot you were shooting for a Demons, Gods and magic game!!

Try adding what I posted above, only with a Odysseus twist instead of the mental institute crap. Read a synopsis on Homer''s Odysee.

Sorry for the post above.
Advertisement
the movie Batman1 could be dark in a way. I think darky things involve mainly that there is something UNKNOWN, hidden, behind the facts, a psicological obscure reason that drives the situations to a wrong, evil, bizzare, mad ending.
Low lights helps a lot, also the night. X files has a lot of darky scenes.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Dark games are helped by music that drags you into the atmosphere of the game - UNREAL is the best example of that I can remember, though dated, the music was an incredible part of the game I believe. I ended up burning it onto cd I was so impressed.

Who can remember walking out into the planet surface from the space ship looking at the clouds and hearing that purely epic music.....some of the later levels kill....the only music that sux in this genre is techno, it takes away depth from the game.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~http://on.to/oni
I thought this forum was closed long ago! But anyways...

After hearing what a dark game really is, chances are, my game that I plan to make some(day, year, decade, millenium) isn''t going to be THAT dark. There''ll be demons towards the final boss, but that''s it, and there won''t be many dungeons at all. And the character that you play doesn''t have evil playing with his mind. Although once you defeat the final boss, your leader will be tainted by the battle(he was fighting evil in his mind the whole game). Your leader will ultimatly be the boss you have to kill in the second version of the game. I posted the long story of the game before and I will post it in the Writing forum again once I make a few more adjustments. Expect it back there soon...
I read a few of the definitions of "dark", so I couldnt help but add my own

Having tons of evil demonic forces doesnt make a game dark.
I mean, DOOM ? Quake ?? Diablo ? Granted the imagery is dark, but the way in which it is used kills any sense of ... ah, let''s use another word here OK ? ... "goth".

You want dark, look at "goth" : Tim Burton''s Batman (the first), the comic book where Batman is old and meet all his enemies in the Asylum (cant remember the name);
look at Wraith the Oblivion and the World of Darkness (by White Wolf);
there is a cool anime I just saw called Here and There, Now and Then.
Read Alan E. Poe, Baudelaire (well, that''s French, but he was a percursor of "romantic" poetry, possibly the first Goth there was in France ), more recently (well, 50 years ago) read Fritz Leiber !
In Fantasy there isnt a lot of dark, but there are some exception. I just read a fabulous anthology called Legends, in it there was a short story (50 pages) by Tad Williams called "The burning man". It''s based on his work "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn". Really dark.
Watch the Schindler list, or Funny Games, or some of Akira Kurosawa.

Counter examples : the Evil Dead. Yeah it''s dark, but it''s funny. Do you really want funny ?
Spawn : sad, sad adaptation Crap.
Batman 2, yeah it''s still Tim Burton, but the comical elements of the characters is too much. It''s dark, but the story is light hearted. The characters are tragic, but it''s a comedy... I hope you get the point.
Same with Sleepy Hollow. Superb, but the comical element kills the otherwise terrifying environment.

Of course it all comes down to what feelings you want to give to your reader.
If you want to transmit depression, sorrow, the infinite sadness of a world going down the drain, etc.
Or if you just want to use a trendy goth imagery

--AHW --
Well, if you want Gothic....
Anne Rice is pretty odd, if you ask me. I''ve had to odd impulse to read a little of a few of her books, and thanks to my local Gothic friend, I found a whole new meaning to the word "twisted".

But as for dark....
Well, as long as it has something that seems psychologically deviant... Anything satanic or pagan, to me, seems instantly depressing and ultimately "dark", although that word might not be enough to explain it. Have you played Max Payne? For those of you who haven''t, this may or may not be a spoiler; It''s been too long for me to remember. Anywho, there is this one scene (right before a boss fight, if that makes a difference) where a character starts speaking of his love of angel flesh (i.e., "I have feasted on the flesh of fallen angels) and that to me is somewhat (somewhat... Lol) dark. It just seems to twist reality, and give it a dark coat of paint.
Well, if you want Gothic....
Anne Rice is pretty odd, if you ask me. I've had to odd impulse to read a little of a few of her books, and thanks to my local Gothic friend, I found a whole new meaning to the word "twisted".

But as for dark....
Well, as long as it has something that seems psychologically deviant... Anything satanic or pagan, to me, seems instantly depressing and ultimately "dark", although that word might not be enough to explain it. Have you played Max Payne? For those of you who haven't, this may or may not be a spoiler; It's been too long for me to remember. Anywho, there is this one scene (right before a boss fight, if that makes a difference) where a character starts speaking of his love of angel flesh (i.e., "I have feasted on the flesh of fallen angels) and that to me is somewhat (somewhat... Lol) dark. It just seems to twist reality, and give it a dark coat of paint.

Oh, and that character happened to be a druggie.

[edited by - TearsKnight on August 27, 2002 5:10:57 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement