🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

vampire based story line?

Started by
9 comments, last by vaneger 21 years, 10 months ago
i want to create a game''s storyline based on vampires, not the ann rice vampires or the soul reaver legacy of kain vampires but more unique vampires. any ideas on what to do or places to look for vampire legends and lore that are not commonly used?
Advertisement
Go to the original, and read Bram Stoker''s Dracula. But don''t stop there. Look for the original folk tales about vampires from various regions.
Some fairly random bits of European vampire lore.

quote:
Original Post by Lord Byron (1813)
But first on earth as vampire sent,
Thy corpse shall from its tomb be rent:
Then ghastly haunt thy native place,
And suck the blood of all thy race;
There from thy daughter, sister, wife,
At midnight drain the stream of life....
Wet with thine own best blood shall drip
thy gnashing tooth and haggard lip;
Then stalking to the sullen grave
go - and with the ghouls and afreets rave,
Till these in horror shrink away
from specter more accursed than they!

If you''re not afraid of a little controversy:
the corpse of a vampire remains inviolate.
so does the corpse of a saint.

Many legends of vampires were believed to be started by improper medical examinations leading to people being buried alive. Someone in a coma might either spring from their coffin just before burial (if they''re lucky), or thrash about within their coffin just after the burial, being found later by graverobbers in a contorted state, covered in fresh blood (their own).

Vampires were often associated with plagues, and also with the stench of a plague. There are some legends of both the stench and the plague ending when the body of a vampire was destroyed.

Elizabeth Bathory of Hungary (Late 16th/early 17th century) - killed and bathed in the blood of over 600 young women, believing that doing so would allow her to retain her youthfull beauty. A personal favorite of mine.

There are forms of anemia where the immune system attacks the red blood cells of the body, leading to iron deficiency, paleness, low blood pressure, etc. I''ve heard of at least one case where the patient has had the delusion that consuming blood provides their body with what they are lacking. Among other things, this can be caused by viral or bacterial infection, the use of quinine (a treatment for maleria) or cancer.

Certain diseases cause photosensetivity, like lupus and rare forms of porphyria. These may have been more common in inbred social castes (nobility anyone?), but were probably quite rare even under those circumstances.

Ever wonder where the use of garlic as defense came from? It''s not the smell. Apparently, vampires have some kind of psychological need to count things, and the string of garlic cloves is irresistable. Leave one on your door, and maybe they''ll stay out all night counting! Really.
__________________________________________________________America seems to like crap because its what we make popular. - Goober King
quote: Original post by pwd
Many legends of vampires were believed to be started by improper medical examinations leading to people being buried alive. Someone in a coma might either spring from their coffin just before burial (if they''re lucky), or thrash about within their coffin just after the burial, being found later by graverobbers in a contorted state, covered in fresh blood (their own).

I was (still am) sure that thats zombies and not vampires. Some people were buried alive cause they were sick and the people prefered to burry them alive then let the plauge spred.

Anyway, on vampires there is A LOT of stories each stating somewhat different things about vampires, giving them differnet powers and weaknesses. Most movies make the whole vampire thing more scientific by making it like a bactrial infection or something. I personally don''t like that much, they are scarier when you can''t explain it all, and far more fun in a game too.

oh, and in your game, are you playing as the vampire, or not?

A more modern "legend" is the "Renfield Syndrome". It''s believed that there is an "official"/common psychological disorder, where one forms the delusion that the consumption of blood is vital for their existance (or the only thing that is required to continue living). Ask a goth and a psychiatrist, and you''ll get two different answers about the existance of this condition.

There''s also a disorder that causes a violent reaction to gluten, leading to vomitting, deterioration of the colon, etc. Victims of this condition would be more likely to subsist only on meat, and have violent reactions to grain products.

quote:
I was (still am) sure that thats zombies and not vampires. Some people were buried alive cause they were sick and the people prefered to burry them alive then let the plauge spred.

I would not be surprised if it did not lead to both variations on the legend. The older forms of the vampire legends would probably be more readily associated with this (the plague bearing vampires) rather than the more modern "aristocratic vampires".

I too prefer the non-medical explanations for vampirism (and especially prefer more unique interpretations of the vampire legend). If more than one vampire is to appear in a game, I would rather see that each one was unique.

I include the medical definitions as one possible path on the road to vampirism. How about a vampire that started out as an anemic, who sought the blood of others because it helped their symptoms - only to be cursed with true vampirism for their selfish killings?

well yes you will get to play as a vampire in the game ( not sure what type the game will actually be yet, perhaps a cross between the matrix , a fighter and an rpg) but you will be a vampire. other then that i am not sure what im going to do yet, still working on ideas for the story.
Well, although you said none of the kain thing, I personally think that Vampire the Masquarade: Redemption is a good game, and it has a great story in the Single Player part. I suggest you play that for some insparation and ideas perhaps.
I was gonna recommend reading on Vampire : the Masquerade
It's not just a computer game, it's a fully fledged Roleplaying that has been succesful since it's creation a few years back.
The background is HUGE, with tons of fan websites. I recommend going on the official website to check out the flavour of the game. It's as dark as dark can be.

Also you could read one of Anita Blake novels, by Laurell K Hamilton. Basically, vampires hav been officially recognised by the government of USA, and thus have acquired legal rights. Werewolves are people contaminated by a virus, and have the same problems than AIDS victims discrimination-wise, but with all the furry problems added. Zombies, faeries, you name it, it's in the books, and pretty cool, too Easy read, but really entertaining, with a very progressive discovery of the various creatures inhabiting this alternate world.

d'oh! I forgot to mention Storm Constantine. The most unique approach to the vampire myth I have heard of.
Hard to describe, a sort of mix between angels/demons rather than the classical vampire, I can only recommend that you go and read the books, only two of them sadly, but what a read ! (Burying the Shadow, 2 volumes, by Storm Constantine)

[edited by - ahw on August 25, 2002 10:01:28 PM]
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
I think it would be great to have a vampire games with vampires that have an array of personalities. They always seem exactly the same (dark, evil, over-dramatic). I would like to see a homosexual vampire, or a geeky vampire, or mabye a trailer trash vampire. I would love something goofy like that.

PHRICTION

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement