🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Giving the world an impossible fact

Started by
14 comments, last by Arek the Absolute 21 years, 10 months ago
You could do something like "Brave New World" where the children are raised from "birth" to belong to a certain caste, unless you want to be naturally inate from birth, then just use the parallel universe thing
______________________________"Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains" - J.J. Rousseau
Advertisement
Well if your story / game is in the future then they could take a DNA sample when they were born and put it in a machine that could find out every single thing about them which would determine what profession is right for them or whatever.

If your story / game is in the mid evil ages they could at bith take a drop of blood as an offering to a god and who would show some sign of what ther profession or whatever would be.
--------------------------http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/icons/icon51.gif ... Hammer time
A societal caste always works. I mean, if you''re looking for a device for which the characters of focus rise up and knock down the bonds that hold humanity down, might as well have the added bonus of an overtone, what with insulting society.

-> Will Bubel
-> Machine wash cold, tumble dry.
william bubel
Two ways to do it:
1) At birth a scanning proccess is performed on a person that predicts their future.

2) Everyone has limited powers to see through time and can see what will happen to them0
Hmm... Good ideas, folks. I just need to see how much I can twist them to my own purposes.

And in case you wanted more info on what I''m thinkin'' up-
I want the means of this knowledge to be involuntary, or at the very least something people don''t conciously try to obtain.

I''ve always pictured the setting as being more or less modern, but now that I think about it there''s really nothing that I want to happen that couldn''t apply in fantasy or sci-fi, so it could still be something else. I mean, I don''t have any planned starship fights or dragons to slay or anything.

I''m actually working on the story now! Whoo! Before it was just concept, now I''m at least outlining the important events. Problem is I''m writing too many stories at once, now. Heh...

-Arek the Absolute
-Arek the Absolute"The full quartet is pirates, ninjas, zombies, and robots. Create a game which involves all four, and you risk being blinded by the sheer level of coolness involved." - Superpig
I personally think it''s probably better to set your world as the people think they make their own decision and future, as if there is a personal reason behind everything they do without having a really evident "mark" thing that tells them what to do. Until one day, one man begins to ask himself, "when did I decide to be a theft; I don''t remember being poor; I don''t even remember my childhood... etc." As a director (forgot who) said once, the most common thing often creates the greatest suspense. So, here you have this pre-destination conflict going on.

If you have ever seen the movie, Dark City, you will know what I mean.
Struggling in converting something of mind to something of paper...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement