🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Story writing is only good if you`re good at it!!

Started by
13 comments, last by Zido 21 years, 9 months ago
I have read almost all the forums put on this section since last month and I have heard about things copied or similar to games I have played. First of all, if you are going to create the same mood as another game try to be original like let the story be at another time and make sure no other element in the game makes it the game seems it was copied from your focus game. And second, if you can`t write a story, either read books and info on writing, if in school you have English, or don`t try at all. I am not being rude at all. Also, if you need story ideas email me the info on your game and I`ll develop a story that will make it a great game. MY EMAIL www.psychic_p@yahoo.com
If you are reading this, then you are too attached to signatures!!
Advertisement
You complain about people''s English skills, yet you seem to have none of your own. Now, you also say that if someone sends you info on their game that you will give it a great story, which makes very little sense. If they have enough info to send you for you to make a story, then they already have a story right there.

KEEP WATCHING THE SKIES!
My site address! Whoo!
http://www.protienmonkey.tk/
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
I prepare to execute the ultimate in online literary assault maneuvers: The Omni-Quote!

quote: I have read almost all the forums put on this section since last month and I have heard about things copied or similar to games I have played.

Original ideas are hard to come by. While outright plagiarism is generally frowned upon, borrowing from other sources is a necessary part of writing. Many excellent fantasy novels "copy" events and concepts central to Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, but they manage to be fairly original and enjoyable nonetheless.

quote: First of all, if you are going to create the same mood as another game try to be original like let the story be at another time and make sure no other element in the game makes it the game seems it was copied from your focus game.

Perhaps my english is deficient, but the first half of the sentence seems to make absolutely no sense. In the second half, you seem to forget the fact that ANYTHING can be interpreted as having been copied from another source. Absolutes are not possible in this case: different degrees of originality are necessary under different circumstances. Also, in the second sentence, you make the mistake of assuming that all games on this forum are each mostly based on a single "focus game". Although this may be true in many cases, I find this to be a somewhat insulting insinuation, especially given one of the subjects you are addressing in this thread, namely plagiarism. My hopeful-masterpiece-in-progress, Pentaverse, draws inspiration from over a dozen individual sources, most of them fantasy novels, not games.

quote: And second, if you can`t write a story, either read books and info on writing, if in school you have English, or don`t try at all.

Personally, I find books on writing to be as useless as any other type of self-help book, but perhaps some are able to derive mental nourishment from them. However, the bit telling people not to try writing at all if they can't write and don't want to read books on writing is just plain wrong. It comes across as a purposeful mass-insult, even if it is meant to be a goad for aspiring writers.

quote: I am not being rude at all.

Alas, I fear that I find myself disagreeing with your lordship.

quote: Also, if you need story ideas email me the info on your game and I`ll develop a story that will make it a great game.

I swear, I would have taken this bit seriously if not for the rest of this post.

[edited by - DuranStrife on September 24, 2002 10:18:12 PM]
Wow. The "omni-qoute" That''s historical. What alternative is there but the "omni-rebuttal" which I will not attempt at this late hour, but I will comment on the first post on the subject.

Zido has a good point in that you should read as many books on writing as you can if you are going to write any story, game story, interactive story, script or anything. Be advised that most of the books on writing however, were written by writers who found out they could write nothing major like they wanted to when they started out, so most of them will have a paragraph or two that is useful out of the whole book.

It is also true that other pieces of story will creep into your work, or may be deliberately borrowed, or even overwhelmingly invasive, depending on a, nobody artistic can escape from their influences, b, how far you have evolved artistically will indicate how easily you can distance yourself or change or improve the implementation of your influenced inclusionary items.

Also, if you have that kind of time to take everyone''s stories and rewrite them so they are great, and can produce that kind of output, then you are wasting your time in game story writing, there is far, far much more money to be made in screenwriting, dude. If you are that good, don''t waste your time with improving other ppl''s ideas, go knock one out of the park, and let your work, not your advocations, speak for itself.

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

You all made some very good points but let me straigten up some things. First, I am not using good grammar here because this is the internet you can write whatever you won`t. Second, I am writing stories for games that my team is working on. I was just being generous and was trying to help other people out. And last, books and the internet has a whole lot of tutorials and info on writimg. A quote can get you up and writing in no time. And AGAIN I am not being rude!
You all made some very good points but let me straigten up some things. First, I am not using good grammar here because this is the internet you can write whatever you won`t. Second, I am writing stories for games that my team is working on. I was just being generous and was trying to help other people out. And last, books and the internet has a whole lot of tutorials and info on writing. A quote can get you up and writing in no time. And AGAIN I am not being rude!
quote: Original post by Zido
...I am not using good grammar here because this is the internet you can write whatever you won`t.

"won''t" == "want" ???

Good grammar and spelling is very important when posting/chatting on the internet. It really helps other people actually understand what you''re saying.

-Mike
I have read almost all the forums put on this section since last month and I have heard about things copied or similar to games I have played. First of all, if you are going to create the same mood as another game try to be original like let the story be at another time and make sure no other element in the game makes it the game seems it was copied from your focus game. And second, if you can`t write a story, either read books and info on writing, if in school you have English, or don`t try at all. I am not being rude at all. Also, if you need story ideas email me the info on your game and I`ll develop a story that will make it a great game.

MY EMAIL www.psychic_p@yahoo.com

I can have a similar story but tell it in a completely differant way. Besides its not as easy as your post makes it seem to come up with an original story. Having an english class and coming up with an original story are to differant things, an english class just gives you a means to tell your story.

I have read almost all the forums put on this section since last month and I have heard about things copied or similar to games I have played. First of all, if you are going to create the same mood as another game try to be original like let the story be at another time and make sure no other element in the game makes it the game seems it was copied from your focus game.

So, if I may paraphrase, we can''t use any element that might have been copied from another game? That would pretty much destroy the entire industry of creating games. That''s about the stupidest thing I''ve heard since Hasbro tried to claim any game with a spaceship and an asteroid was an infringement on their intellectual property.

Everything is reused. George Lucas got Star Wars from an older Japanese film "The Hidden Fortress". Every fantasy book published in the last 50 years borrows from Tolkien, who himself borrowed from folk stories and faerie tales.

Think of it like science. Physics would have never gotten anywhere if everyone protected their ideas. Because discoveries are open, people are able to expand upon them and make new discoveries of their own. The same applies to games...if you have an interesting take on an old idea, go for it!
I agree with black_mage_s. You talk about orginality Zido, and yet you say that you will create a story for them if they send in information on their game, how is that orginal? You would be making up the story for their game and that would not be original, they would simply be copying your ideas; hence what you were upset about in the first place.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement