🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game plot needs critique

Started by
7 comments, last by Edison Bright 21 years, 5 months ago
Johnny Dafone is a thirty six years old private detective in a fictional city which is very inspired by Sao Paolo, Brazil. He is still single, and he has started losing his hair. He feels unsecure around women. He is pessimistic, and has problems with finding anything good in life. Whenever he sees a beutifull girl, he starts dreaming about getting married with her, but in the end he is too insecure and shy to make any realization of his dreams. When Dafone is doing one of his standard jobs, observe a young woman for her husband because he believes that she has a affair, he stumble across one of the wierdest cults known to mankind. This woman appears to be involved in a voodoo cult, and Dafone follows her to what appears to be her sacrifaction. When Dafone tries to stop the sacrifice, he is captured and killed by the cult. The rest of the game is spend in the afterlife where Dafone tries to piece together the past of both this young woman (which he of course meets in the afterlife) and solve his own personal problems.
Peace!- Edison Bright
Advertisement
I think it could be pretty interesting, but runs a real risk of becoming way too new age and touchy-feely. I''m much more interested in the hot chick, the dangerous cult, and the afterlife, and not at all interested in Dafone resolving his early childhood issues.
Its not exactly his childhood issues. I realize now that it was hard to try to explain the plot to others without spoiling a bunch (for instance, i had to leave out what kind of issues Dafone has to solve about himself) ... back to the writing board!
Peace!- Edison Bright
Heh ... Looks real nice

Kofieeeeeeeeeee
Kofieeeeeeeeeee
BOOOOORIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!!!!!!
I think the story could be good, but It''s missing something, just can''t put my finger on it. BTW, what type of game is it? I would go with a puzzler in the same vein as Myst (Just not as bad) personally.
It doesn''t seem to have enough in it to make a game. A movie or miniseries maybe, but not a game.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"If it wasn''t for C, we''d be using BASI, PASAL and OBOL."
- Albert Einstein
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
not bad, i think the part about sorting his life out is a bit uninteresting, unless it involves seeking out revenge from beyond the grave to avenge the death of a close friend/family member.

oh and why is he trying to piece together the crazy cult ladys life?

but yea sounds like a good idea

[edited by - EnigmaZ on January 21, 2003 5:47:30 AM]
First off, consider what media you are writing for. I can assure you as a screen-write and a Game developer there are very different aspects you have to focus on depending on the method by which you are presenting your production to your audience. Your character information is solid. No doubt there, however, this is far from any sort of plot. I only wish to bring this to your attention before you spend too much time on one side of the story. Although you have a good set of fundamentals for one character you have to realize that there is more outside of a good story than just one character which is what makes games like FF such a horrible series (yes, 7 too, If I offend somebody too bad.) If you ever pick up any decent book, by Tom Clancy for instance you will notice that there is more in the story than just one characters point of view. Sometimes there are perhaps 3 main characters who''s wieght in the story is distributed evenly throughout the plot. This is not to say that you need 50 main characters because it will just make your plot very thin very fast. What you should be focusing on #1 yoru characters, they make the sotry move, #2 your world, what happens there, what kind of food do they eat? do they eat choclate based dishes or is that their weakness (Please no death by water GGAAAAHH SIgns....). Know the world in which the characters operate, when teh story starts everything should be good/bad/sadistic whatever. The world should be the opposite or some derivitive thereof of what the story will become. If you are fighting the evil deathadder, everything in the world should be good.Then when you introduce your characters, thats when the shadow begins to creep over and the story begins to take shape. Anyway my time is running short....

Long story short, work on major elements first. Then start working on plot. Aeris''s death is a lot more touching when you know that she and Cloud had a thing going on. SAme with any other part of the story, if you as story writer know more about your world before you start setting things inmotion, you will have that much more meat to talk about as you go through the torture of writing.

BTW: Ignore any cheap shotted comments that are made agaisnt you. Writing is a very difficult task to undertake and I enjoy seeing people take the challenge. Redirect and structure your efforts and Im sure you will do well.

~ V. Chao Sake - Screen Write / AI developer Phalt earth soft

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement