🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What to do with a story

Started by
1 comment, last by sigmaent 21 years, 3 months ago
Hi all! Say that you just finished a story which you think will be great for a computer game, is there anyway to get this story implemented in one? Can you sell the story to a game company or something like that? Is that a common way to do it? Regards Daniel
Advertisement
It depends what you mean by finished. Have you had it betaed (edited) yet? Have you estimated how long it should take to play the game, and how long any cinematic or voiceover sequences should be? If you need voice actors, you need to write a description of what each voice should sound like. When you''ve taken care of all that sort of thing then you might be ready to write a proposal.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

You could also do a production breakdown with strict criteria for location, action and players, and have an idea of your levels, pace and challenge.

Whenever I have a story come up as a game possibility, I always break it down in production values from the design standpoint only, not production values from the production standpoint, so I have a rough framework from which to visualize the game levels and gameplay within it.

This allows you also to see the story from a different point of view, and maybe this will trigger improvements, changes, etc. Remember, writing is rewriting, and designing is redesigning.

Addy

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement