🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Naming Games

Started by
19 comments, last by Kryten4000 21 years, 2 months ago
Looks like I prefer the second approach, especially when I write parody games.
I once worked on "Warcrow", and now I''m developing "Super Ulyanov Brothers".

Also I like to create new words, like "Goatic" and "Goatec" (those titles refer to two different periods in the world of goats that I invented). Still, "Goatic" resembles like "gothic", but I didn''t mean the game "Gothic", as it wasn''t so well known back in those days I invented Goatic.

Oh, and "Fake Competition" is a good one. That reminds me reading a press-release translated from Chinese. It mentioned the games "No Man Is Immortal", "The Power of Spirit: Yakin''s Magic Apparatus", "Bloody Sacrifice 2" (translated from Russian after being translated from Chinese). Those are actually "No One Lives Forever", "Sanity: Aiken''s Artifact" and "Blood 2".
Advertisement
That reminds me. . . pick a name that suits the game, but don''t make it completely obvious. The best title for a satire is an inside joke that will make the player laugh once he''s invested some time in the game. My friend Dan Snyder and I worked on a story in which the main character could avoid being attacked by zombies by filling in a nametag with "Zombie," so it said "Hello, my name is Zombie."

The original working title was "Sofie''s Adventure," but by the end we called it, "Hello, my name is..." Other good titles would have been "Sofie''s Vacation," "Seven Days," and "Invasion of the Law Secretary." (Say, that last one is pretty good...)

GDNet+. It's only $5 a month. You know you want it.

My only real finished game (rather than straight clones), Auto-Ball ([plug]available for download from cnet[/plug]) got its name from... actually, I''m not sure quite where the name came from, but the game metaphor (it''s too much of a stretch to call it a plot) involves hemispherical cars playing a football type game. So auto-ball sounds better than car-ball...

Mind you, the second game we half-finished, and were calling it "[untitled]" when we abandoned it for various reasons (mostly that, having pushed Klik & Play beyond reasonable limits with Auto-Ball, we kept wanting to do things that should have been simpler, but which Klik & Play just couldn''t handle in any reasonable way)
Most of the games or projects I start I never finish. I found myself creating lots of little projects and needing names for them all so I figured I''d go with food names alphabeticly for temporary codenames. (Apple, Banana, Cookie, Danish, Egg...) Project Banana is and probably forever will be the unit conversion routines (cm -> inch) the company I work for uses because we can''t seem to rename it.
Let''s have a game called Legitimate Excuse where you are a lawyer trying to convince the court to let loose the most notorious criminals in the world! That would be so challenging
Now I shall systematicly disimboule you with a .... Click here for Project Anime
I wanted to (still do) make a military RTS that focusses on chains of awareness using radar towers, aerial craft and ground craft.

I could name the game something like Mechanized Assault to focus on the nature of the units themselves.

Or I could name the game Theatre of Operations to focus on the whole battle arena and the strategy paradigm.

So sometimes, the name expresses the primary theme of the game itself. At least, in my case it does.

I programmed a simple space shootemup featuring craft chasing each other around in outer space. There were 8 teams with 3 craft at a time on each team. I named it Star Arena 3000 . A few months later I upgraded the graphics (included textures, lighting, starlets, sun, explosions, glare, lens flare, craft speed, scoreboard and camera angles) and named it Star Arena 3005 . If I upgrade it again, I will use background decorations, anti-aliased stars, hardpoints, engine fire, glare points, guided missiles, formation flying, etc. and of course name it Star Arena 3010 . I'll probably have that done around 2995 or so.

[edited by - Waverider on April 11, 2003 5:19:33 PM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
For things in my games, I usually steal names from real objects.

My failed TBS names involved failed 80s wrestlers. Barry Horowitz, Berta Fay. etc...And it was named after the cause of the horror, Virus or something??

My RPG, the characters didn''t have names, except one boy. and he was named Tomi, after Tome...The name of the game was Slime King.

My Joust chest varient was taken after my name, eddie, and combined with joust, Edoust.

My next two projects are:

Pitfall Patty(the original pitfall, as seen on TI-80s not the atari verson)
Oniawwa, the Duck Hunter. Same deal.
~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
Think about two things. The title you come up with will be a compilation of the the previously rendered advice and other things. But when you do make a selection, and are happy with it, you will find it wise to use a ''working title'' so you don''t have to end up telling everybody and their brother what the title is, and giving away the steak before you have a chance to sell the sizzle.

I''m serious, you''re title is serious intellectual property that you''ve thought about for some time devising (it encapsulates a lot of what you are devving if it is a good one), and even though that is the most first and logical question, the plain fact is you''d be selling yourself and your project short by mentioning it prematurely. A title used to be the one thing you could not protect by copyright, even if an informal claim, such as marking it with a circle c or copr. or circle c date.

Formal of course being registration with the Registrar of Copyrights, a cheap and excellent professional move, btw.

It''s also a marketing thing. A little mystery is good for anticipation, and what if development iterations change the game, and the title is not a good fit for it anymore?

Most people put up a web site on their project far too early, imo, also. Don''t start marketing the game until you are ready to sell it. Premarketing can be done while in dev, but for market research purposes, which generally don''t give away the cookie before the customer feels like they need a glass of milk. I don''t think it''s wise to lose the advantage (the only one of it''s kind that your get) of springing into the mind of the consumer with something they''ve heard of before over a long time, it doesn''t click for them that way in terms of purchase psycgology. If you are going to all the trouble to learn about player psychology, purchasing and perception psychology is also adviseable.

You''ve already created on perception with the public, now you are going to change it? Bad marketing move, period.

Don''t give the title away, make a working title, like many professionals do for the very same and more reasons, and use it.

Addy

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

Post a genral description of what your game is about, and we will give you some suggestions.

Tom, thats the funniest fricken thing I have read! I think that would be great in an adventure game. For some reason it reminds me of Day of the Tentacle. It would be funny if, once you have the name badge on, they just start acting all casual, one lighting up a cig, then they all just start bitching about how hard it is to be the undead. ''Its not all fun and games you know! People think its easy! Oh, sure. Just find some people to eat and your all set. What if your a vegetarian?! No-one thought of that when they were comdemming me to the undead where they? Nooo! No respect....mumble mumble.."
quote: Original post by NicolasX
I think about the main idea of the game, and go from there.

True, like Grand Theft Auto is about stealing, killing etc which is called Grand Theft Auto. The only time you don''t have to name the game is when it is a movie game. The movie writers come up with that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement