🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A non-violent game story ?

Started by
36 comments, last by b1llz 21 years, 2 months ago
quote: Original post by Waverider
Whenever the issue of violence came up, I always jokingly thought about a game where you have to run around popping bubbles.

Who knows, maybe someone can make something of it.

There is a very old game Bubble Bobble that is just about that

After reading this post I''m thinking about taking my 2D Adventure game in this sort of direction, I don''t currently have much of a story but I think I like the Idea of atleast minimal violence.

Please visit Turt99 Productions
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR MY BLOG
Advertisement
Ok what i actually forgot to mention is: the underlying engine is an fps game engine! It might sounds strange to build a non-violent game on a shooter engine but you see this is how some ppl demand.
Violence = no HUMAN killings + no RED blood etc.
I guess you guys are gettin my point.

cheers

On a long enough time line, the survival rate drops to zero.
quote: Original post by b1llz
Violence = no HUMAN killings + no RED blood etc.

So killing animals or destroying plants or insulting people, or destroying buildings and stuff are ok in your game?

---------------------->
Nothing in the world is the way it should be; that''s why we, the champions, exist and live for: HOPE.
ok i guess i''ll have to rephrase my definition:
Violence = no killing of any living being + no destruction

I must say that this thread seems more to be focusing on the definition of violence than the actual topic. Please give me some creative suggestions instead of askin what you already know

creative feedback..
hrm. nonviolent first person game...
lets see.
ping pong
walking-through-the-neighborhood
taking the dog for a walk
you could do a jogging game! complete with cardiovascular measurements! oh i get tingly just thinking about it...
hrm. i''m out of ideas
maybe you can have a secret unlockable stage of your jogging game that would let you find an axe and chop up your neighbor or something.
maybe your dog can get hit by a car... i dunno.

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

Do NOT let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor!

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
Do you have ANYTHING in mind?

Because delivering mail doesn''t sound like a very exciting game.

Go to your local equivalent of Best Buy and get all the old Lucas Arts games you can get your hands on. Day of the Tentacle has no violence until you bowl a tentacle over at the end. The Dig (my favorite) had practically no violence, except for when Brink fell down the hole he was digging. But you bring him back to life, so its okay.

Anyways, puzzle games, like those above, and of course, as NaliXL said, Monkey Island.

There are plenty of games that incorporate some non-violent levels in them. For example, perfect dark, bond, rainbow 6, all have levels where you have to evade rather than kill security.

-geo
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
ok its nice feedback im gettin, but see I dont wanna make puzzle games or anything like monkey island...I guess i''ll stick more to the games where instead of killin u have to avoid it etc.
So anything in this regard is welcome. New ideas will do good.
Thanks

How about firefighting? In which you shoot at fire, put foam on explosives so that they don''t catch fire and blow up, and rescue...

Or a baywatch that tries to save little kids from sharks.

Scubadiving treasure hunter?

Museum robberer? In which you try to get as much value as you can. As you get money you get better equipments to turn off security and hire co-robberers?

quote: Original post by Estok
How about firefighting? In which you shoot at fire, put foam on explosives so that they don''t catch fire and blow up, and rescue...

Or a baywatch that tries to save little kids from sharks.

Scubadiving treasure hunter?

Museum robberer? In which you try to get as much value as you can. As you get money you get better equipments to turn off security and hire co-robberers?

I guess firefighting and scubadiving both are nice ideas...the only prob is that the engine we''re developing (almost developed) is a Quake style First Person Shooter engine. 3rd person games can be built on it but its not especially designed (yet) for lots of fires/explosions/water; all of which are very important for the above mentioned ideas.

Ok now the museum robberer...this one seems to be the nicest idea so far and I m really gonna think abt it more. You can think abt it n refine the idea as well.

Similar ideas are welcome. Im thinkin as well.

Thanks

Well... creative ideas...
First, about that Museum roberer, don''t have to rob only in museums, but in other places with high security, but the thing is you never see a bullet or weapons when you get busted that''s it you can''t fight. Your gameplay can focus on puzzles and cool moves like back flips or wall bouncing to reach high places and dodge detection devices.

Now let''s stop stealing other people ideas and post some of my own mind.

-How about a game where you are some dude that likes addrenaline more than laws and his life? There can be a secret organization that organizes weird competitions like jumping from building to building in which you not only have to time your running and jumps but you also can hang of the edges, and climb the windows, walk on thin spaces, ride hanging drying clothes, rob a car and jump through the window to reach the other building... the posibilities are limited by your mind...

-A game in which you are an angel and you are given certain abilites, like flying at first, and God tells you what must happen and isn''t going to happen, so you must make sure it does. If a girl has to die someday, you talk to some people, trick the girl into going to the place of her death and it happens, or the opposite, she should live and you must make sure that she doesn''t. After that you get new abilities like sensing where each person is or healing, that you use for your next mission. It can happen always in the same town so you have to watch out not to be supicious and you have to life, feed and work like a human and if you got watched last time it will make your next mission harder or better yet you can choose the mission you want.

-A game of magic, but not about fighting others, but about skill. There can be different magic schools with different abilities and teachings so you must prove yours is the best. You can compete at hitting targets with fireballs, compete in flying races, create the right object(that might be specified by a combination of buttons that seems logical) or anyhing you come up with.

If you see my three ideas, they have some things in common: You take the role of someone(good for a quake like engine), you have to move plenty, and you are given specific goals... maybe I''m just in the mood of doing things like that so I guess those details can be modified some way to make a better game ;D

---------------------->
Nothing in the world is the way it should be; that''s why we, the champions, exist and live for: HOPE.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement