🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Life of a lion (feedback wanted)

Started by
9 comments, last by SuperHenrik 21 years, 2 months ago
Hi all, I have an idea where you play a lion in the heart of Africa. Comments wanted! (I might be a dreamer, but I think this game could attract both female and male players, and thus be a new ''The Sims''..) And if there already is a game like this, please let me know.. Anyway, you start as a newly borned lion, knowing almost nothing (more than walking.) You then have to play with your young brothers/sisters to improve your skills. "Fight" with them, go on expeditions, and hunt small animals - but watch out for dangers if you go too far from your mother! As a grown up, and you are playing as a female lion, you would probably want to have kids of your own, take care of them, protect them, and raise them to be strong and powerful lions. As a male, you might want to leave your group and find another where you can fight to become their leader. There should be several "parameters" that you need to adjust your play after. There is some kind of "survival" instinct / fear, hunger, protection of your children (if you are a mother), sexual instinct, and possible a few other. The nose is important for a lion, so there will be a "smell"-diagram available to the user. However, if she/he as a kid did not learnt what the different smells means, it would be useless. Possible drawbacks: 1) Lions sleep much. (Solution: speed up the time when sleeping.) 2) Limited number of things that could happen. When you have hunted antelops for 10 times you know the drill. (..but of course you could try to hunt an elephant if you want.) When you are a leader of a group of lions there may be other males challenging you. And as a female you could raise your kids. But what else, that is interesting, happens in the life of a lion? The game would not be a FLV (First Lion View), instead, the player would see the game from something like 2 m behind and 2 m above the lion (however rotation of the camera might be possible.) This is just a short summary of my thoughts. Now I just want some opinions on the idea presented above. Anyone who wishes to add something? (..and come up with more events so that drawback no 2 above can be igonored.. Take care! --Henrik
Advertisement
You''ll forgive me, I didnt read the post, but I can give you feedback :
there were two games made on this, the first was about playing a Lion (hunting, trying to get females, fighting other lions, looking for water, etc).
The other one was exactly the same, but for wolves.
Maybe you should look at those games ?

Oh, and I think this is more Game Design than Game Writing...

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Thanks. Do you (or anyone else for that matter..) know the name of these games? I made a search on Google but couldn''t come up with anything.

Oh, and sorry if I posted in the wrong forum.. wont happen again!

--Henrik
I imagine he's talking about this game

found by google (lion + life + sim), 3rd on the list

[edited by - JSwing on April 12, 2003 3:44:24 AM]
Interesting concept, of course if it has been done before then maybe you''d better think of something else. Or if you wish to join a team instead I have posistions vacant. Contact me if ur interested.

Artificial entertainment- Define reality...
Cheers, comrade Kyle Evans,Artificial entertainment [Movie/Game Reviews]Contact: kyser3152@yahoo.com.au
First of all, as soon as I read the title for the post I fell in love with the idea!!!!

Sencond, this game would fricken rock if it is NOT done as a simulation, as the other games seem to have done. I think that if it takes a bit more of a gritty lion king approch it could be very good, meaning all lions and animals can speak (to each other that is), but would remain very serious through most of the game. Also, I think it would be interesting to have your player progress much like the characters in Black and white, so that if you go around slaughtering other lions all day, you end up as a scared muscly lion, but if you are more of a leader/helper you become very well groomed etc.

It could run so that there are basic missions such as:

Stage 1 -- new born: A butterfly has caught your atttention. Catch it.

Stage 8 - teenager: You are constantly fighting with ''Konal'', a rival lion. He and his cronies have challenged you to a fight at the top of the mountain where pack leaders fight to the death for controll of the tribe. It is dark and raining, but you cant back down...can you?

Stage 20 (last mission) - mature adult: A pack of Hienas have had enough with you stealing thier turf and blame your tribe for killing 15 of thier own, even though you know the lion responsible was Konal. He has obviously tried to frame you after you exiled him from the tribe after he nearly killed your mate. This is going to be a fight to the very end, and you know that not much of your tribe wil survive. How will this unfold?

Im not sure what genre of game this would be (FPS, third person), but I think that it would make a great game and and even greater story.

JSwing : that''s the one

BTW, my point in answering wasnt to diss out your hopes, but rather to point out something that existed so you could learn from their mistakes.

Personally, I would avoid a purely realistic Lion simulator, because as you might now, lions spend something like 19 hours a day sleeping...

...now if you added a bit of drama, and inter animals relationship a la Disney''s "Lion King", I am sure that would be much more entertaining In which case I am sure you came to the right place

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Wow, its funny that someone posted this topic. I was riding home from school on the train a while back and I had an idea very similar to this, with lions and everything. Like they say, ideas are a dime a dozen.

Divinus Entertainment
Land of Relics Art Director
http://divinus.net
Divinus EntertainmentLand of Relics Art Directorhttp://divinus.net
Sounds interesting

You thinking a system that just reacts to the player, plus random elements, or a more structured system (something like the missions that boolean mentioned).

If you have the spare cash lying round, and a computer that''ll run a game made for a 486, I would suggest you grab Lion so you can take a look at it. Failing having the money (yeah, didn''t think you had any money either ) you could try looking round some abandonware sites... Taking a look at something already built with the same general game idea would help you decide what you want to concentrate on, and what you really don''t want to see done again...

I think I''m finished stating the glaringly obvious now

Press to test... *click* Release to detonate...
Press to test... *click* Release to detonate...
Thank you everyone who replied to my initial post.

First I thought of the game as a pure ''simulation'', but after having considered your ideas, I guess a mission based game would be better.

Anyway, I do not have the time nor knowledge to do a game like this right now (I am currently developing an RPG-engine..) but maybe one day..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement