🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Light Hearted Text-based RPG...Need Ideas.

Started by
8 comments, last by talos_911 21 years, 2 months ago
Hi, I''m making a funny text-based RPG (Dunno Graphics ) in C++ (Borland C++ 4.5) I''ve got a few ideas, but I need some ideas for dialogues, story and setting... You can use RPG cliches and stuff and generally give me some wacky ideas to implement in the game... I hope you guys get what I''m trying to say. Thanks, talos_911
Advertisement
personally, I think that the best idea which has not been used yet is the idea of spoof gaming. There has never been a spoof game like there have been films. If you literally took the piss out of RPG''s by naming your main chara "Hero" or sumthing and contrasted him (with his accepting RPG world rules and governing laws) with a person who is seemingly completely normal and doesn''t understand how ridiculous it all is. Just an idea, if you are slightly confused as to what I mean, just go to www.nuklearpower.com

To find out more about my game go to http://terraforce.iwarp.com

Peace
Anthony
PeaceAnthony
First of all I really suggest you check www.rpgworld.com. Very funny indeed.

How about a bit of brain storming:

1. Due to the overwhelming amount of adventures that have taken place, there are no monsters left. BUT, a level 1 slime blob has been spotted 5000 miles away in a lost city. You must travel there and kill it before the world perishes!!!

2. How about a court jester that is accidently chosen by a half blind senile king to avenge his death, and the whole town backs him since they dont want to go on his stupid ''avenge my killer'' mission. It could be in a very ''terry pratchet/Discworld'' type setting.

3. You work at a interstellar ship trading point, and a pilot has just left his animal in the bar. You are orderd by your boss to take the ugly stupid thing back to him, but get stuck on the ship by accident. You slowly figure out that this guy is actually the most wanted man in the universe, and you are now a long way from cansas...You play a bumbling teenager with a pet that is as stupid as him.

I will post some more later on if you like.
I don''t know if its online anywhere, but there was a list called the "Laws Of RPG" that made fun of this stuff...

Theres also this: http://rii.twu.net/rpg/
william bubel
The Generic RPG Handbook. V1.0. Thats some damn good reading. I made a RPG game about 3 years ago with a rpg toolkit thing, and that was almost exactly my plot!
quote: Original post by Rexford
If you literally took the piss out of RPG''s by naming your main chara "Hero" or sumthing

Have you ever played Lunar 2? Granted it was spelled Hiro but still pronounced the same

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment
quote: Original post by Rexford
personally, I think that the best idea which has not been used yet is the idea of spoof gaming. There has never been a spoof game like there have been films. If you literally took the piss out of RPG''s by naming your main chara "Hero" or sumthing and contrasted him (with his accepting RPG world rules and governing laws) with a person who is seemingly completely normal and doesn''t understand how ridiculous it all is.

Like in this webcomic?
Actually there has been a spoof game- Conker''s Bad Fur Day for Nintendo 64, however it spoofed movies with only one spoof of Mario 64. It would be an interesting idea to have a Peter Seller''s style RPG rather than some lame world with magical powers and serious characters. Why don''t you try Jak and Daxter style characters and over the top actors. Could even be a revolution even if it''s handled well. As for cliches well, here''s a list of fantasy and RPG cliches.

- Dragon guarding a horde of treasure (what is the treasure and what is the dragon like?)
- Island or place where no one ever has returned from (Playboy Mansion on the island)

I can''t think of any others but I''ll edit it later.

Artificial entertainment- Define reality...
Cheers, comrade Kyle Evans,Artificial entertainment [Movie/Game Reviews]Contact: kyser3152@yahoo.com.au
heh, having read all of rpgworld up to present, I can''t believe how funny that idea is. Also, no, I had no idea. Y''know what, you guys should check out www.nuklearpower.com. Actually, it might be .net not .com. But neway, it''s so much funnier and I am thinking of downloading RPGmaker2000 and making that. Heheh.

Peace
Anthony
PeaceAnthony
Hey Talos! How is this for pure luck! I found your post on rpg.net about the zombie name badge idea! The chances of that happening must be 1 in 1 katrillion or something.

I just found that cool:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?s=70add9b56d0536765ea3a2309b718413&threadid=10427&perpage=20&pagenumber=9

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement