🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

CINT as a Scripting Option

Started by
1 comment, last by Red_Veen 21 years, 1 month ago
Hi, This is the second time I''ve posted to the GD forums, so pardon begged in advance if I am posting in the wrong place. That said, I think this is the right place to bring this up. If one is developing in C/C++ why not use a C/C++ script interpriter for your scripting needs? Wouldnt this simplify, or totally eliminate, the need for glue code and all that mess? I just started getting into scripting languages in preperation for a simple 2d game engine, so i dont really know if this makes sense or not. Hopefully this will spur some discussion as which I might be able to learn from. "He informed Van that it was going to rain in a few minutes ''''because it had started to rain in Ladore,'''' and the rain, he said, ''''took about half-an-hour to reach Ardis.''''"
"He informed Van that it was going to rain in a few minutes ''because it had started to rain in Ladore,'' and the rain, he said, ''took about half-an-hour to reach Ardis.''"
Advertisement
Firstly, read the Forum FAQ. You should see a link to it at the top of the page somewhere. Especially see the "Why would I want to use a scripting language in my game?" bit.

Still here? Ok. Firstly, I don't know of any "C/C++ script interpreters", although I don't doubt some exist. They're unlikely to have all the features of C++ anyway. (EDIT: Since I typed this, I looked into your subject line and found CINT at http://root.cern.ch/root/Cint.html. It claims to support 85% of C++, which is impressive but not good enough in my opinion.) Secondly, glue code isn't the code that needs simplifying. 'Glue' code just holds together the different parts of the system and is usually quite trivial. It also may change quite a bit, which means a more 'agile' language like Python is probably better suited than C++. Thirdly, the scripting language element is usually there to help people other than the core programmers in extending the program, usually because scripting languages are easier to use than C++.

There may not be much need to integrate a scripting language in a simple 2D game. However you might consider writing the whole game in one, using something like PyGame, only adding C++ where necessary.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]

[edited by - Kylotan on May 14, 2003 9:27:50 AM]
Soft Integration''s Ch is an embeddable C/C++ interpreter that says that it does not need glue code... but, it isn''t free.

Game On!

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement