🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Idea.

Started by
11 comments, last by Cyberpawz 21 years, 1 month ago
quote: Original post by Impossible
The story is very cyberpunk... It actually sounds very similar to the storyline of Cyberpunk 2020 (old R. Talsarian Roleplaying game.) You may want to check that out for inspiration. The interesting thing about it is that you said you don''t want to make it cyberpunk, but politcally it is very cyberpunk.

Actually I have nothing against making it Cyberpunkish, but it''s going to be a hard market in itself to break into... the hard core players may not like it, but the "noobs" would love it...

I am twisting the basic rules of Cyberpunk to my own, i.e. There is still a government... and magic won''t exist in the same manner.

But I may come into legality issues if I want to make it as it is... the company who make Shadowrun may find it too simular...

At first I thought you wanted to do the game in a completely modern setting with few fantasy or sci-fi elements (which would be cool), but I see you have the "super human virus." Which is cool also. The sequel game to Cyberpunk 2020, Cybergeneration had a similar idea. There is a nanotech plague that kills most people, but gives some of the youth special abilities. Once again, you may want to check that out. The book Snowcrash also has a similar setup.

I''ve been told about Snowcrash, I haven''t picked it up yet, although I probably should. The game itself is going to be based in the "near future" give or take two generations from now...

The "super human virus" you named was the catalyst, yet I have not yet thought of if the next generation will be effected by the disease in the same manner, or will it mutate...

I wanted to stay away from the "plague that nearly kills mankind" it has been overdone... ie Doom III, and others all follow that suit, tinkering with genetics,and demon gates to only release a super creature/virus that destroys mankind unless you can stop it...

The only problem I see here is there is lots of story and very little mentioned about the gameplay. This is the writting forum, so it''s understandable, but it took me a while to figure out that it''s some sort of RPG that you want to eventually change into an MMORPG? Working on background story is good, but don''t forget to think about how the combat system will work, what kind of puzzles and challenges the players will face, how the political system will work, etc.

I''m working on it

Right now we are debating a physics model, as well as the combat system, since the AI is going to be dependent on both, since it will have it''s own learning style, and it can be programmed to do almost anything... within reason...

The AI is going to learn all aspects of every weapon on it''s own, and learn what does the most damage to what, etc... we are also hoping to sell the potential "final" revision of the AI to the government for training...long story.

But overall the game is going to learn your style and force you to interact with on it''s own terms...

In other-words, you are a grunt that liked to "blow things up" it is going to force you to sneak around, or infiltrate a base to destroy a portion of it, or to kill a person, but no one can die, unless given the authority to do so... etc..

Puzzles will be more geared towards the hackers, thieves, and assassins, the others will be given simpler puzzles, but more difficult to solve them since brute force may, or may not be the answer all the time.

As for this MMORPG, by the time it gets to that point, I am hoping the data from gameplay on the servers will make the next gen AI superior to the old one... and give people a real challange...

This is just a taste, any more questions?

Cyberpawz

P.S. I would love to see game AI''s fight against each other one time... UT 2003 vs Doom III''s AI...playing Deathmatch... hehe

Font size: [size=7]Upon the new name of the new Windows OS (Longhorn), potentially coming out by 2005, to compete against the new Mac OS of 10.5 (Panther), a response was given.Panthers eat Longhorns. Does this remind anyone of Windows 95 ("Chicago") vs. System 7.5 ("Capone")?
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Cyberpawz
I am twisting the basic rules of Cyberpunk to my own, i.e. There is still a government... and magic won''t exist in the same manner.

A lot of cyberpunk still has a government, sometimes even a stable one (see SJ Games'' Transhuman Space.) Also, magic is definitely not a standard cyberpunk genre convention. You seem to only really be familiar with Shadowrun. Shadowrun is basically Cyberpunk 2020 + Dungeons and Dragons, so it''s actually two genres (hence the elves, orcs, trolls, dwarves, magic, spirits, etc.) It''s more cyberpunk than fantasy, but those fantasy elements are definitely not cyberpunk. If you want to read the book that originated the cyberpunk genre you should look at Neuromancer by William Gibson.

quote:
Right now we are debating a physics model, as well as the combat system, since the AI is going to be dependent on both, since it will have it''s own learning style, and it can be programmed to do almost anything... within reason...

The AI is going to learn all aspects of every weapon on it''s own, and learn what does the most damage to what, etc... we are also hoping to sell the potential "final" revision of the AI to the government for training...long story.

Sounds interesting... Goodluck with all of that.

quote:
But overall the game is going to learn your style and force you to interact with on it''s own terms...

In other-words, you are a grunt that liked to "blow things up" it is going to force you to sneak around, or infiltrate a base to destroy a portion of it, or to kill a person, but no one can die, unless given the authority to do so... etc..

Hehe, I always thought it would be interesting to do the opposite, have a game that analyzes that players style and adjusts to give them more of what they want. But thwarting the player''s favorite tactics would make for a challenging game and force players to try different approaches.

quote:
P.S. I would love to see game AI''s fight against each other one time... UT 2003 vs Doom III''s AI...playing Deathmatch... hehe

It would be interesting, but it would also require so much tweaking and porting due to some rather large engine differences that it''d be difficult to call the ported AI the same as the original. Also, UT2003 is a multiplayer\bot AI and Doom III looks like a more traditional single player AI, so there would be some functional differences as well.

nk still has a government, sometimes even a stable one (see SJ Games'' Transhuman Space.) Also, magic is definitely not a standard cyberpunk genre convention. You seem to only really be familiar with Shadowrun. Shadowrun is basically Cyberpunk 2020 + Dungeons and Dragons, so it''s actually two genres (hence the elves, orcs, trolls, dwarves, magic, spirits, etc.) It''s more cyberpunk than fantasy, but those fantasy elements are definitely not cyberpunk. If you want to read the book that originated the cyberpunk genre you should look at Neuromancer by William Gibson.

Actually I''m not familiar with all versions of Cyberpunk, but I do know about enough about Shadowrun (having to own nearly all of the books from the series) And the reason I''m staying away from the fantasy aspect (elves, dwarves, etc) is because I don''t need people comparing it Shadowrun...less money I have to give groups the better.

Hehe, I always thought it would be interesting to do the opposite, have a game that analyzes that players style and adjusts to give them more of what they want. But thwarting the player''s favorite tactics would make for a challenging game and force players to try different approaches.

Actually you will have your "favorite" actions, but the game will also force you to play every so often a type you don''t want to play... the grunt for example, ie: any fighter''s mentally... "Grunt smash, grunt kill, grunt make things go boom!"

Well you can play the game all you want, make things go boom all you want, but if you want to get that "extra money" you may have to do something you normally wouldn''t think about...or want to do (sort of like real life). But you can make money just taking your aggravation on the local gang, or go through the old government areas and try to find the real answer for the mutations, or whatnot... but if you want to make money you may have to do things you might not like overall, but the end result is very satisfying, for if you are with a group, and you are the only one that made it back alive, well you get the full kitty...

But that being said, you get bad karma in where other people might not think of going with you the next time, for the people who did, didn''t come back... hehe.

It would be interesting, but it would also require so much tweaking and porting due to some rather large engine differences that it''d be difficult to call the ported AI the same as the original. Also, UT2003 is a multiplayer\bot AI and Doom III looks like a more traditional single player AI, so there would be some functional differences as well.

Actually, UT2003, online is multiplayer, on your own personal computer, I expect you have levels you have to beat to make it as the "master" of that ranking...

I think in that aspect, both AI''s would be able to play against each other, since the Doom III has a built in agression/defence already... and could compete with the UT2003 already.

You are right though, it would take a lot of reporagming to make both work with the other''s physics, but I have an idea to solve the weapon issue...

Insta-gib...if not then allow usage of weapons they both have in common...and start from there.
Font size: [size=7]Upon the new name of the new Windows OS (Longhorn), potentially coming out by 2005, to compete against the new Mac OS of 10.5 (Panther), a response was given.Panthers eat Longhorns. Does this remind anyone of Windows 95 ("Chicago") vs. System 7.5 ("Capone")?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement