🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

acceptable forced failures.

Started by
17 comments, last by Ketchaval 21 years ago
Forced failiures can have good effects and bad effects on the player and the game play. For instance I liked Half-Lifes forced failiure It stoped you from feelin invincible ageinst your foes. they got you, but in the end you found a way out. That could have been diffrent, but one Very badly thought out forced faileiur was in Jedi Knight II Outcast.

In the game you are told there are to many guys around so you will have to go with stealth. you proceed try to be stealthy you fail. the guy sounds the alarm. cutsceane starts- you see your self getting ingrigated with tourture drones! what is that! I can take on an army of storm troopers, but this guy sounds an alarm and thats the ball game! That was a very bad part of the game, and very irritating because it reloaded to right before it nomatter what. so you where forced into being stealthy. If I had it my way I would have opened doors with huge walkers to go kill the player if he got caught or something. I think getting caught like that is very degrading.

Another good thing is from crono trigger. Which was mentioned earlier. But eariler in the game you get captured, go on to trial and get called guilty by the evil concouciler. When they captured you it was with far overpowering odds. but when you excape if you lose a battle it is not game over, you just go back in to your cell. very well played out. they battles are not even hard. in most cases this part is very simple but they added this to make the game situation more real.

So its easy to see forced failures can swing to good or bad in games. just how they are used is the deteriming way.

quote:
One example of how I DONT like losing is in the 007 - Goldeneye for N64. You had to chase Tre... - what's his name - through the control place and he would escape through the elevator. Always. I got good enough to pour over 300 rounds and 20 pieces of explosives into him and he still closed the elevator door.

So please don't do that.

that 007 thing was annoying, I really wanted to kill him. lol

Edit: a few changes

[edited by - Xero-X2 on June 26, 2003 9:07:45 PM]
"I seek knowledge and to help those who also seek it"
Advertisement
I think it is ok to use, but if you are going to do something like that, It needs to make sense. I''ve seen it done so poorly that it angers you. However, if you can create that feeling of "holy crap, this guys insane! What am I going to do!!" right before they face the opposition, it can be expected.

Prime Example: Plun Baba ( think that''s how it''s pronounces) from FF6. He was a crazy ass looking monster in comparison to everything else you faces, plus you hade no resources to face him, I could easily guess the fight was rigged but at least it swept me into the sense that ''m about to get my butt kicked

-~-

X2: Official Site

Lets not forget that frustrating forced failures are not just limited to games, but happen in movies aswell. Most show the hero fail in an interesting way, but I remember seeing a movie in which the hero spends a good 20 minutes of the movie planning the amazingly intricate raid on a bank, right down to the last detail. When they get in there, bang..hes caught. I was sitting there thinking "What the hell where the last 20 minutes for then!?". So how do movies get around it? They make it so that if someone is in a fight with someone he knows he cant win against (Morpheus Vs Agents in matrix), it is still an interesting fight regardless. I know that when morphues lost to the agents I wasnt sitting there thinking "well why didnt he just commit suicide and hurry it up" cause the fight was still interesting.

So, what about in a game you meet a big evil boss in the first quarter of the game. Now the first reaction I would have is what BlahMaster said, but what about making it so that suddenly turns into a fight for escape pretty much from the get go. You need to do enough damage to stun the enemy for a second so you can run to the bike that is parked (which then could start a cool driving getaway thing). Your still failing, but you still won the fail...I think that makes sense
The force failures in Final Fantasy 9 were pretty nice. You encountered a female knight called Beatrix that served the antagonist(at that time). The nice thing about the fight(s, you encouter her like 3 times ^_^) is that it feels like you can beat her, you actually do beat her, it''s just that she uses a very powerful attack when her HP is below some level or 0, the attack drops everyone to 1 HP and the fight ends. Oh yes, the exactly same thing happens 3 times(or maybe only 2?).

I''m not sure if you can get game over while figthing her though... her normal attacks are pretty powerful too... does anyone know?

Oh, and another nice thing about the fight is that she does look really beatable, so you do not have to use everything you''ve got. And you don''t give up at once either.
One thing I hate about forced failures is that you don''t get experience. This isn''t like the forced failure that we''ve been talking about so far, this is more like the character is strong enough but the enemy runs away. If I remember correctly FF7 had you battle the Turks a couple of times before you finally beat them, but I remember never getting any experience for fighting them except the very end. This really annoyed me. I know, I know, this really doesn''t have to do with the topic, but I wouldn''t want a long battle with a boss that plays around with me, by hitting me with weak attacks but later doing some immensely powerful attack at the end cheating me of my experience points. I think that battle with Beatrix was kind of like that. The only thing I would have wanted was some experience points... hehe.
Hmmmm.........Yup!!!
You can get some phat lewt from both Beatrix and the Turks by stealing
Both Crono Trigger and Out of this world implement failing very well.

In Crono Trigger, there is a place where you fight Lavos, the last guy, for the first time. He is rather difficult. If you defeat him, you just go to the ending, its a secret bonus. If you fail, the player gets captured by the evil villians, and is stripped of everything except weapons and armor anyways. So thre is no bonus for losing the fight on purpose.

In Out of this World, there are several scenes where the player loses control. Including everyone''s favorite groan kick scene. The scripted events are placed where a player cannot avoid them. Usually a quick lazer blast renders the main character unconscious for a short time. When the main character regains consciousness, it''s a sign to contine to fight. Those places are the only ones where the main character loses consiousness, so its a signal to the player that a cut scene is coming up.

~~~~~
SNOBOL-If you succeed, shoot yourself in the left foot. If you fail, shoot yourself in the right foot.
Download and play Slime King I.
~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
quote:
Forced failiures can have good effects and bad effects on the player and the game play. For instance I liked Half-Lifes forced failiure It stoped you from feelin invincible ageinst your foes. they got you, but in the end you found a way out. That could have been diffrent, but one Very badly thought out forced faileiur was in Jedi Knight II Outcast.

In the game you are told there are to many guys around so you will have to go with stealth. you proceed try to be stealthy you fail. the guy sounds the alarm. cutsceane starts- you see your self getting ingrigated with tourture drones! what is that! I can take on an army of storm troopers, but this guy sounds an alarm and thats the ball game! That was a very bad part of the game, and very irritating because it reloaded to right before it nomatter what. so you where forced into being stealthy. If I had it my way I would have opened doors with huge walkers to go kill the player if he got caught or something. I think getting caught like that is very degrading.

You don''t have that quite right. It is made very clear to the player that they must be stealthy because if an alarm is pulled, the bad guy you are hunting will know you are there and won''t come out to get his ass kicked. (Incidentally, you still don''t get to kick his ass, and, all you really have to do is stand in front of the alarms with the lightsaber.)

Yet you forgot the only real forced failure in that game (the alarm thing isn''t a forced failure; you failed the mission yourself by letting them pull it) the first fight with Dessan.
Raven did a very good job there. As you approach the guy, it becomes blatantly apparent that you don''t stand a chance. First, he smashes the exit. Then he draws a lightsaber. Then he snatches away your gun. Then he starts flinging you around in the air every which way. Did I mention that he''s ten feet tall?

I agree with boolean, but for games too. I don''t see why force failures have to be battles. FFVII is great for examples of this. You kill lots of people, but it turns out they are not the ones you are looking for. Particularly all the Jenova bosses. From the same game, the death of Aeris is the most masterful forced failure I have seen (though I suspect that is just me). THe idea of "well done, you (the player) did as well as you could, but that still doesn''t make a happy ending" is the best sort of enforced failure. All failures should either contribute something to the plot or give players resolve to try harder next time (hence all those bosses who would run off after), and Aeris''s death did both. Finally most enforced losses in FFVII had eerie music playing, which I think is the best way to tip off a player without reminding them that it is a game.

Definitely cool is failures you can circumvent, just for the fanatic. If only that were always possible.

As an aside, I don''t think Lavos in Chronotrigger is the best example. It was completely optional if my memory serves me, so doesn''t really count.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement