🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Outline to Full on Story

Started by
4 comments, last by vaneger 21 years ago
given an outline with only the major parts of story , and only 4 characters , how can one go about making a full blown game story from said outline?
Advertisement
write a design document
I AM an Army of One... I just have 10,000 other Armies of One to back me up!
we dont have enough info for that yet.
In that case, I''m not sure what it is you are asking. These are *my* steps in the game design process:

1. Wake up sweating from a horrible nightmare
2. Think WOW, that would make an amazing game!
3. Right down the gist of what the dream was about
4. Go back to sleep
5. Wake up again (hopefully dryer than last time) and look at my scriblings
6. This is a fork in the road: either it sucks and I throw it away, OR it''s good and I go to my computer.
7. Begin Design Document...

I don''t draw up a design document in one sitting. It takes me weeks to get it thourough enough to think about starting on the code. I start with just the rough ideas, probably about what you have now, and then just fill in the blanks. It would probably be best for you to sit down with a design document outline (can be found here on GameDev.net) and edit it. Replace the placeholders with your information and in any area that you don''t have enough information, treat those empty area as questions that you need to answer. If you haven''t though up any weapons yet (assuming weapons are a part of your game) start thinking... If you haven''t got a location, starting thinking...

It all begins with an idea (hopefully a good idea) and then comes the design document. If you are a good designer, you will throw out many design docs and ''good'' ideas before you are done. But, anyway, there really is no in step in between dreaming up an idea and putting it to paper.

If you need to open your mind to more ideas, I find it useful to write out your story in novel form. That might help you discover inconsistancies as well as add depth to the story.
I AM an Army of One... I just have 10,000 other Armies of One to back me up!
quote: Original post by vaneger
given an outline with only the major parts of story , and only 4 characters , how can one go about making a full blown game story from said outline?

There has got to be in the ouline some references to scene or setting or plot. Make a graph in three sections and name then beginning middle and end.

each act will have sequences of actions that contain scenes and shots. Lining up the events in your outline graphically will allow you to independently analyze each sequence for logical number of scenes necessary to tell the section of the plot that action contains.

For example, most first acts introduce the main protagonisitic characters and the plot dilemma, and make reference to if not introduce also the antagonistic character(s).

Most second acts consist of the protagonisitc (avatar and friendlies in this instance) overcoming series of challenges to get to the goal, maked by the point of no return, where the hero must solve their internal ambilences or POV''s (depending on the character you construct) and go for the final act, where the face to face meeting with the antagonist, and the overcoming (or not) of that entity leads to the ending.

These elements are the basic dramatic standard you will have to meet to even approach a professionally told story.

Where this linear expositional narrative takes off and becomes interactive storytelling I usually find by turning a scene into a level, or a series of scenes (sequence) into a larger level with several challenges as individual scenes within it.

It really depends on the pace you set which is based on the type of story you are telling. Remember to give your player or audience a breather from time to time (all action all the time is not everyone''s idea of fun) and to give them a treat as well. An interstitial, superfoo or SPFX is a good way, as well as a new utility like a major powerup or armour addition -- something of that nature.

My last piece of advise is to not underwrite. This is where most meldrama comes from, and is the mark of the stark amateur. Good stories benefit from aging, like wine. Really let it simmer, and you will absolutely find things that need improving, even up to and including major plot redesign.

HTH,

Adventuredesign

Genius is the ability to do what the talented find impossible.

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

It is not that hard

The Premise

You have an idea for a story I''m assuming? Well firstly, think about what it is you are trying to communicate with this story. Why do you want to tell it? What is your Core Idea, Theme, or Premise?

Example: (Made up example)

"Education is Important"

High-Level Overview

Once you have decided on this, write out a high level overview of your story, even though you may not know the details yet, you should have a general plan about how the story will start and end. If not, then just take a second to analyze ''What'' your story is about. The end is the punch line, what do you believe is important to show? What are your trying to communicate? Your premise should give you some clues to this.

Example:

[YOUR STORY NAME] is about the woes of growing up in a society where the parents are as uneducated as the children they raise. The story will follow the main character [YOUR MAIN CHARACTER NAME HERE] as he/she faces situations, challenges, and troubles presented in their everyday life living in a populace of ignorance.

In the end [MAIN CHARACTER NAME] taps the importance of education and returns to his/her community dedicated to spread the knowledge and raise the mind state of his/her people.

From this overview you can build a general, high level concept about the story that you can communicate to anyone. Now from here you would start to develop the world, characters, and story that fit into this overall concept.

What ways can you do that?

Well I generally like to make a list of questions about core issues concerning the concept. What type of world is this taking place it? What should the character start out like? End like? If there are any scenes in particular that I have in mind then I’ll start with those and build around it.

It is a constant assignment and reorganizing of your ideas that takes place until you hit that "Ah ha!" combination.

Here is a general story outline you can look at, to see some of this stuff in action:

Example of High Level Story Overview for game

Hope some of that helps!
Just remember too, there is no one right way

-~-

X2: Official Site

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement