🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Narrative anticipation.

Started by
3 comments, last by Ketchaval 21 years ago
Having been reading the latest Harry Potter book recently, and noticed how one of the main factors that motivated me to read it so fast, is the anticipation of future twists and discoveries, or thrilling events that I might find. How can we get the player to look forward to (or ''dread'') events in games?
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Ketchaval
Having been reading the latest Harry Potter book recently, and noticed how one of the main factors that motivated me to read it so fast, is the anticipation of future twists and discoveries, or thrilling events that I might find. How can we get the player to look forward to (or 'dread') events in games?

Two primary dramatic tools are foreshadowing (the gun slipped into the bureau drawer early in the film makes you wonder when it will come out), and

Exposition. Oftentimes, it is not what has already been shown or said, but what is not that makes the person fill in the details of the gaps in dramatic continuity with their mind.

[edited by - adventuredesign on June 29, 2003 2:13:51 AM]

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

One dungeon I DM'd a while back allowed the players to control some high level wizards, which were killed very quickly by an enemy with powers they had never experienced before.

Then the players were allowed to control their own characters. Of course, in their minds, they worry about having to face this same foe as they hunted down a cult. That was an excellent dungeon, by the way (Vecna Lives).

Time travel or non-linear storytelling is another one. It gives the player a chance to see future events first, then play the events that lead up to it.

The Ring movie had a good one too - you die 7 days after viewing the video. The main character finds this out AFTER she watched it.

Let's see, what else... you fight an invincible foe in the beginning, expecting that you will have to face him later...

Or a foe is so powerful you expect you won't have to face him, but surprise, you do!

You approach a mountain pass and can see the silouhette of a spire castle in the distance, surrounded by dark clouds and lightning. What a pleasant hike that will be...

[edited by - Waverider on June 30, 2003 3:45:18 PM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
This reminds me of Final Fantasy II The knights are really scary x_X
I was obsessed with the Star Wars Rogue Squadron book series a while back. I read all of them in a three month period. I think the main reason why I couldn''t put it down was that you never know which of the members of Rogue Squadron would die next. You really become emotionally attached to them, so it is sad and suprising when one is killed suddenly and violently. Not many books/movies/games have the heroes get killed, so it was a nice feature.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement