🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

writing for games..how do you break in?

Started by
3 comments, last by Soajoe 20 years, 11 months ago
I''m going into my Junior year in college in about a month, but I have wanted to be in the game development business since I was 11. How do you break in as a writer? From everyone I hear it is insanely hard. I am thinking about getting the book Break Into The Game Industry.. I think that''s the name of it. A little about me though. I know C++ quite well and I am currently teaching myself how to program in Win32 and OpenGL. I also am good at editing levels and other stuff, but how do you really gear yourself towards breaking into the business. I''ve talked to teachers and they''ve told me classes I can take to get me ready, but that''s it. I look at gamejobs.com and there is usually nothing there for writers. I lost track of where I was going with this though. Any advice any of you have would be greatly appreciated. - Joe
Advertisement
Well, do you mean write or program? In order to write for a game, first you need creativity. In order to be a writer, you should first know someone. What I did was I wrote for a few independent games, then I made my own (well, I had a team, I''m not a good programmer).

My best advise (untested) is to go to game company after game company. Write some example storylines and a resume, the worst they can say is no. The preferred method is to climb the ladder. Don''t just look around ONE site for jobs, look around all over the web. I needed a co-writer for a game thats finished now, I posted it in Garage Games.com and got a HUGE response. That''s the best advise I can give you.

I would like to be either a writer as in coder or involved in writing the storyline. I love to do both, code and write storylines. I''m not the best at coding graphic games though, which is why I''m in the process of learning to program Win32 applications and learning how to program using the OpenGL API. I plan on trying to get an internship somewhere next summer. I live in Alabama though so chances are I''ll have to travel a good ways. I have a year to find one so hopefully I''ll be able to. Just trying to get the foot in the door.

- Joe
To add to Anonymous Poster''s good advice, look on this site in the resources for game design document templates, as you will also want exposure and skill in that kind of documentation development. There are scores of other types of documentation associated with game development like interactivity matrices, cut-scene/animatic/cinematic scripting, trade dress documentation, ad copy, the business plan, marketing plan component of the business plan, and more. Dig around, it''s there to find.

Adventuredesign

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

I am learning that it's good to have some program experience before you start writing also.

That way you have some sort of sense as to whether or not it's possible to take what you are writing and actually port it into a video game.

A decent writer is good. A decent programmer is good. A mixture of both is great!

[edited by - Sloan on July 21, 2003 5:28:38 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement