🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Gimme a reason.

Started by
13 comments, last by Ketchaval 20 years, 11 months ago
quote: Original post by TechnoGoth
How about being able to play the villian, with simple goal of total world domination!!!

this is a must for my game. although the player wouldn''t necessarily "play the villian" as there is no set villian. but you could work for good or evil (or sit idly by on the sidelines and profit... like the swiss).

the motivations for being bad or good are, um, murky at best. people do what they do for any number of reasons. some people are evil by birth (hitler, pol pot...um...c. montgomery burns?). some people are evil for profit (enron, ford motor company... george w bush). my suggestion would be for each individual, and each group, to have their own reasons for doing what they do.
ill find me a soapbox where i can shout it
Advertisement
A game where everyone has there own motive.....

sounds kinda like crono cross

the one dude is looking for a treasure, the other magickian turned you into cats and feels an obligation, a couple of them are trying to prevent the opposing army, exc. (minus a few charactors)

in fact, you will find this trait classic for most charactors/sub charactors, in any GOOD rpg. This is (in my opinion) that the "person stumbles upon something that changes his life" scenario is so popular, abeit a bit cheesy. Its not like the origanal FF where 4 people got up to just fight, this is being seen less and less. The problem is no longer lack of a plot, but lack of a NEW plot.
But yes, bad charactors should have better motives. I liked FFX and FFT where the "bad guys" were very realistic. Another older game "inendo" comes to mind. As well as the first half of FFVI (before the stupid clown becomes big)
I''ll give you a really good reason, probably the only one you''ll even need: future consumer entertainment software demand.

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

quote: Original post by Waverider
Sometimes the bad guys just do what they do to be entertaining bad guys.

No One Lives Forever is a good example. Cate Archer gets knocked out repeatedly by the Irish Guy. The henchman asks, "Why don''t you just kill her now?" And he answers, "I''ll do things the way I please!"

Intelligent plots have their place, but so do plots that are there to make fun of themselves.
Yes, but the problem is that there are *no* intelligent plots lately (past couple years, with a few exceptions). Sure, it''s funny to watch evil-guy satire on the big screen or on your computer, but it starts to get tired after a few years.

Analogous to the guy that still thinks that the "Legally Blonde" series should have another run.

printf( char *MD.LeadG->GetSignature());

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement