🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

RPG != Fantasy

Started by
18 comments, last by TechnoGoth 20 years, 11 months ago
"Too simple, IMO. If that''s what RPG is, it''s a misnomen. "

How would you classify an RPG then?

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

Advertisement
If RPG's were just warriors with clubs and swords, it wouldn't have very much variety.

So they added rogues with stealth and sneak attack ability.
Clerics with the ability to heal with spells and turn undead.
Wizards with the ability to dispatch entire groups of creatures.

These additions allows the designers to come up with more situations than what requires simple tactical strategy, hence adding more possibilities to the game.

Sure, RPG's don't have to be fantasy. They don't even have to involve combat. But whatever it is, give it enough variety to let the players explore different ways of interacting, different environments, encounter types, and abilities, without breaking the design and causing imbalance.

[edited by - Waverider on July 25, 2003 11:46:03 AM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
quote: Original post by TechnoGoth
"Too simple, IMO. If that''s what RPG is, it''s a misnomen. "

How would you classify an RPG then?

Well, if I were using your definition, the genre should be called something like ''story-oriented statistics game.'' SOSG for short. Not so catchy.

I would define ''role-play game'' as any game where the player is invited to ''take on the role'' of another (usually fictional) character. As such, I largely agree with Luctus.

However, the role you take on has to be defined beyond a certain level. I wouldn''t say a flight sim is a role-play game because you take on the role of a pilot, but who is this pilot? Where is he from? Why did he become a pilot? What''s his favourite airport? Given that they never answer questions like that, the role is too poorly defined to be considered a role.

Point-and-click adventure games are roleplay; you play the main character (as far as ''traditional'' RPGs are concerned, there''s all the inventory and story-based stuff in a point-and-click adventure game, just no levelling or stats or combat. Usually. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis had ''indy points'' - XP - but to be honest, XP is just your score).

First-person shooters have some aspect of roleplay - though you''re not always required to take on the role of the main character. Rather, the main character takes on the role of you (and I''m not just talking about the COMMUNIST fps )

Real-time strategy *may* be a role-play game. If the game says that you''re a military general in command of a massive force, you''re playing that role. However, most games don''t seem to do that - C&C does a bit, IIRC (you''re a lieutenant rather than a general), but games like TA don''t. You''re just the player with them.

You can probably figure out the rest.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.
Enginuity1 | Enginuity2 | Enginuity3

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Why can''t we have a non fantasy RPG? We can still include magic, but why not switch that broadsword for a shotgun and go RPGing in an industrial year 3000. Or perhaps use alien weapons on mars and speak to foriegn inhabitants. Why not break the monotany?
Cheers, comrade Kyle Evans,Artificial entertainment [Movie/Game Reviews]Contact: kyser3152@yahoo.com.au
Stop being annoyed by things you cannot change and lead a happier life?

Stop bitching and make an Rpg the way you want.
What would be wrong with an RPG based in present day? No magic. No aliens. Just a "real world" kind of setting. You could live on a large island that has a number of cities, towns and villages dotted around it. You could have a starting story like you've been abandoned as a child, lived in an institute, and then they chucked you out at the age of 18.

Now you choose what you want to be - work your way up through the street gangs network to become a full-blown gangster. Or become a pickpocket, then a petty burglar eventually working your way up to a professional jewel thief. Or you could go round helping people, or join the police force and take on police type jobs. Of course there'd have to be a main objective to go with all of this freedom. Maybe you're trying to find out who murdered your parents? I'm sure a much better main objective could be figured out (I'm just giving an example).

Travel between cities could be done via walking, taxi, train or some other method. Make enough money to buy real-estate. If you're trying for the street gang to mafia route, you could possibly buy henchmen. Anyway, the point is, I don't think you have to include magic or aliens in order to create an RPG.

One game I really enjoyed and would have loved more freedom in was an adventure game, KGB, for the Amiga. Now if that had provided more freedom - the ability to wander around parts of Russia, book rooms in a hotel, take on spy missions (being a KGB agent), or become a corrupt agent for the Russian mafia or a double agent for a foreign agency. Now that'd be a cool RPG (or adventure game with freedom).

---
http://www.micromadhouse.com

[edited by - hammon on July 28, 2003 5:55:28 PM]

If anyone's interested I'm currently designing a Victorain style RPG.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I'm a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

[edited by - TechnoGoth on July 27, 2003 5:34:05 PM]
A good example of an RPG with a modern setting is Shenmue. It''s not set in the present, but in 1980s Japan (and subsequently Hong Kong and China in later chapters). The game could be probably be described as a martial arts epic - the story following Ryo Hazuki as he sets out to avenge the death of his father.

It doesn''t have the traditional levelling up of most RPG''s, but you can advance your character by learning new moves, and then practicing to make them more powerful. There is no magic in the gameplay, although, upon reaching then end of the second game, it appears that there may be some involved later on.

The world is quite expansive - not amazingly large (big enough to get lost in when you don''t know your way around), but bustling with life and graphical detail, and very convincing. You travel between areas by foot, bus, boat and there is a brief (and slightly crappy) stint on a motorbike. You can get jobs (only basic, menial tasks - you wouldn''t want to distract from the main quest) and spend money. There are a number of collectable items that you can acquire for no other reason than that they look nice.

Much of the gameplay involves a kind of detective work; Shenmue has a linear story taking place in a non-linear world, and by talking to people you are ''funnelled'' to the places where you have to be.

You should check out the current games in the Shenmue series if you get the chance. They are both very accomplished RPG''s with a modern(ish) setting, and are important steps forward for the humble RPG.
quote: Original post by Cypher Ae
Why can''t we have a non fantasy RPG? We can still include magic, but why not switch that broadsword for a shotgun and go RPGing in an industrial year 3000. Or perhaps use alien weapons on mars and speak to foriegn inhabitants. Why not break the monotany?

Excellent idea!

Anyone here played earthbound? Present time (where you need to take the bus and everything) and its still an RPG.
I like fantasy because D&D and most pen and paper RPGs are medieval. A few games are futuristic, but I think fantasy is more fun. I feel RPGs are more about spells and quests then guns and jetpacks.

Scott Simontis
Big Joke: C#
Scott SimontisMy political blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement