🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Transylvania Project, Online Game idea

Started by
6 comments, last by LordViking 20 years, 9 months ago
Working title: The Transylvania Project an Online Game Background: This takes place in a small village somewhere in Europe around 1200 or 1300 AD. The town is populated mostly by humans, very few vampires 1 per 100 people, and maybe 25-30 beast-people, who live in the forests, the lake, the sewers of this small village. The town is run by the people in-game, as is the economy. For new houses to be built for incoming players, some human needs to be a lumberjack, to cut down wood for the new houses. They run the risk of getting attacked by beasts in the forest. They need food, so fishermen will work the lake. Farms are a problem because they would take up too much land. Humans, besides running government and economy, can take up arms against those suspected of being vampires, or hunting beasts. They need weapons, so someone can run the blacksmith shop. As the human population increases, the 4th faction, makes its appearence, the half vampires. These were from a bad human to vamp transformation, or between the love of a vamp and a human, like if a husband gets turned into a vampire but still loves his human wife...who really knows. But they exist, and their main goal is infiltrate humanity as best as possible, and control the government to make life easier for vampires. THe vampires goals are to stay alive by adding more to their ranks, and eventually conquering the town. The beast people have only one goal, survival. The Humans also have to survive, their goal is to make their little village into a thriving metropolis. I plan to have this game encompass more than 500 years, since Vampires are immortal. This will be accomplished by having the humans just have last names entered, i.e. you are a family of one, so your family somehow keeps going. The humans hate and distrust everyone besides humans. The half vamps like vamps, but do not hate humans. Vamps distrust Half-Vamps, and hate Humans. Beast people, being distant ancestors of Vampires try to aid them a little, but their fear of the outside, away from forests, sewers and lakes, prevent them from granting too much aid. In terms of health points, since there will be combat taking place. THe order of most health to least, to ballance the game a tad, is Beasts, Humans Half Vamps, Vamps. Vamps need to use stealth to survive, Humans get to use all sorts of shiny weapons, Half-Vamps use cunning and smaller weapons, (No thermonuclear grenades for them), and Beasts use brute force with claws and sharp pointy teeth. I have no programming skill. Only this idea. I've also got a Senior Concept Artist signed on to help. I currently have very little money so, I am looking for programmers and other idea people to help me get it off the ground that believe in the idea. [edited by - LordViking on September 14, 2003 6:48:27 PM]
Advertisement
Hi my names Daniel and i like your idea about the online game im trying to get a shout out to you through the email, i have some ideas for the game i would like to share with you, me and you are similar we both have great ideas about games. me and my close freind are going to make a video game produceing company in a few years and we dont want to pay tons of money for top notch developers when we can just get normal people and split the money evenlly.i am 15 years old and dont have much experince in games but by the time the company is made i will know a good amount if your intrested you can email me at Wehl6@Aol.com i also have some good ideas on other games please get back to me.

Daniel
Daniel
I read your description, and loved it, I ofcourse have some minor things I''d add, but it''s good all in all.

If you happen to succeed in creating a beta version of your game, submit it to me and I''ll be able to put you up on my servers with your own domain.
check the other thread before considering zimeous for anything.

As for your idea as it is, it''s unworkable as it is. Not enough detail. Although it would be very interesting to make an on-line version of "life." Not the board game. But the simulation.

There are 4 factions (possibly you cold even mix and match them further) with 2 (or however many) sexes and each have certain requirements to survive. If someone fails to keep those requirements they die. And when you die you have to wait until two other people of the proper sexes run into each other and create a new character which the player who died then controls.

For starters it would be trivial to have a number of characters be computer controlled in order to artificially keep the balance so the game never ends. Since it''s on-line I''d imagine you''d want to make it impossible for one faction to whipe out the other. And making them codependent would encourage social interaction. And having people end up in a random "family" when they die and are born again removes the "problem" of clans of friends attempting to destroy your game experience for other people.

"Problem" being a relative word. Most MMOs encourage groups of friends to join and form guilds.

Ben

[ IcarusIndie.com | recycledrussianbrides.com | Got Linux? ]

Will Post For Food
I''ve got much more dev on this game at this forum http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4988
but I will post new things here too. As it is, I have very little programming experience. A little NQC right before my senior year of High SChool, and HTML and BASIC. Right now, it''ll probably end up being a Single Player game first, since I don''t know anyone willing to program a 3d Online game from scratch.
I''m not too big on the idea of pro-creation in MMOs... it''s no good. Just have spawn points.

Uberness...
_______________________Dancing Monkey Studios
no procreation. Just spontaneous generation...and the factor of time progression...
Single player vs multi player for this type of project is a moot point.

If you forget about procreation and just go with random spawning you start with a no player 2D tile based top down simulation.

You then define the rules of life. You then watch tiles of various color appear and disappear based on those rules and tweak them until you''re satisfied with the ability to maintain a "civilization" for a long period of time.

Next step is to select a random life that a player controls. Random because you don''t want a player object. You want a generic object for all lifeforms. A flag is then set for that random object that turns off any computer controls that aren''t life rule related. The player is then allowed to move that life form around the playing field and any other input is tied in like jumping or whatever. The goal is then simply to use the ability to move around and interact to extend your life for as long as possible.

Then when you go multiplayer it''s simply a matter of passing off computer control of lifeforms to whomever the server says is controlling it. At death you are randomly given a new life form to control.

To keep balance the server will randomly add in computer controlled lifeforms. The more people that play, the fewer of those that will be needed.

You want to weight rules based on what you want people to be doing. NPC lifeforms won''t be talking but you could weight being in a conversation very high (talking to yourself could raise your "crazy" value and speed up the process of dying) so it would be beneficial for people to get in large groups and socialize.

Simply being around people could also benefit your health but not as much. That way NPCs can benefit from being "social."

Ben

[ IcarusIndie.com | recycledrussianbrides.com | Got Linux? ]

Will Post For Food

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement