🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Writing talent not enough...

Started by
7 comments, last by TechnoGoth 20 years, 9 months ago
I was watching the intro video for FFX 2 and I realized that there is major diffrence between games, and books. With a book your story telling skills directly influnces the readers imaginations and enjoyment of your story. But when you have a game no matter how well written your story, it will be judge on how its portrayed through the visuals and voice acting. ----------------------------------------------------- Writer, Programer, Cook, I'm a Jack of all Trades Current Design project Chaos Factor Design Document [edited by - TechnoGoth on September 15, 2003 1:38:54 AM]
Advertisement
No flame intended, but you obviously don''t play many video games (or at least look at them in depth). There might be a major difference between games and books, but a game would be nothing without a killer storyline (the exceptions to the rule being DooM & pong of course).

The visuals and voice are dictated by the story, and the story are used in great detail to make the player wonder what the hell is around the next corner. Half-life was given the award of best storyline - and it did at the time too. Silent Hill 2 freaks the hell out of me, not just for the visuals but the actual story and how it is presented.

Games need good story writers, it keeps the games from being repetative and makes them intreuiging. Of course the artwork & audio is what the player experiences, but who is in charge of specifying what is made? The story writer of course.
Visuals can help enhance a story, and you're right that you need multimedia to back up the story, but only to a certain point.

You could have the best story in the world, but if you put it in a Final fantasy 1 clone, then yeah, no one will care.

But if you can do something on the order of Secret of Mana's graphics, you can get away with having an awesome story to compensate. At that point though, the challenge is to get people interested in actually playing the game, which comes down to marketing and word of mouth.

[edited by - penance on September 14, 2003 9:43:23 PM]
quote: Original post by Exorcist
No flame intended, but you obviously don''t play many video games (or at least look at them in depth). There might be a major difference between games and books, but a game would be nothing without a killer storyline (the exceptions to the rule being DooM & pong of course).
I think you missed the point that TechnoGoth was trying to make. If I read it correctly, he was highlighting the fact that writers of straight fiction have complete control over the way the story is presented to the reader, whereas writers for videogames have to rely on artists and voice artists. A well-written movie is nothing if the actors are crap.

I also want to challenge your statement that games would be nothing without a killer storyline; for some games a story just isn''t necessary—Doom and Pong aren''t the only exceptions. For some games, of course, a story is absolutely essential, and there are others where the story isn''t needed, but its inclusion adds a lot to the experience. There are also varying degrees of importance to which the story is given in games that do have them. Some games have an in-depth plot which is designed to draw the player in and evoke powerful emotions (you cited Silent Hill 2), while others feature a meagre backstory that is just there to give the player their motivation (for instance, something like a 2D shooter).

Bare Your Bum at Bush!
Exorcist: no I''m afraid i disagree completely most of the popular games have had little or no story. Games are form of multimedia entertainment as such the player experince text, images, animation and gameplay. The story you create will be brought to the player through all these ways. And the stories effectivness dependes on the quality of all these factors more so then the quality of the story.

look at silent hill 2, the story, visual and music all work together to create a compelling and frightning atmosphere. But by the same token the resident evil series which still has a good story but not as good as the silent hill series is far more popular and succeful.

I think that in the end the games visuals, and music will make or break the story.

Also I never understood why people say, halflife has such a good story, I remeber playing it for about an hour and it seemed like a typical FPS story. Interdimensional aliens, secert goverment plots, it all seemed rather mundane and cliched.

Also its been my experince that story has no bearing on gameplay and how repetivite it may be. I found that there have been games with intriguring stories but boring gameplay, and because of that I stopped playing and never finished the game. Which is a shame since I''d have like to see the rest of the story.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

I think it''s important to tie the story and the gameplay together. I''ve never been a fan of FMV-intensive games. I find that a lot of movies and cut-scenes ruin my immersion. What I like is when the "cutscenes" consist of scripted animation in the course of the game.

I think that the visuals and voice acting are important, but only the shallowest, most visceral of players would condemn a well-written, well-executed game on account of its lack of movie elements. Bad movie elements are another matter. Square leads the field in cutscene animation, with incredible resources and skill. But fun games can be made, and thrilling stories told, with nothing but 2D sprites and text boxes. Nowadays, the trend is toward stunning visuals, but I don''t think that''s a law for all games. The Gameboy Advance is a good example of this. Not much more than a Super Nintendo, it''s popularity is incredible, and its games are hotly anticipated. I''m thinking about getting one just for the Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics games, and those will undoubtedly be largely plot-driven. They''ll also have an excellent, little-used combat system and fun RPG elements that will make them worthwhile.

A good story isn''t enough to make a good game, but it isn''t a simple dichotomy between story and graphics. gameplay itself can affect a player''s feeling toward a character. You can turn palom and Porum into mounds of dung for all I care, but if you hypnotize Kain and turn him against me, you''re in a world of shit. Not because of the great story or character development, but because he''s a great asset to my team, and he got me through some tough levels. Also, he''s wearing armor that I spent a whole lot of money on.

Books can tell a story very well simply by the play on words. The action that plays out is the same, but the writing style and presentation style can dramatically effect the end result of what is being conveyed. Perhaps the author is wanting you to think of the action a certain way, rather than just giving you a play by play. Maybe the reader experiences it from the standpoint of the main character. Maybe the reader sees it externally. So many ways to write.

Game stories, on the other hand, play into the plot as it unfolds, determine how characters are animated, the music, sounds... how the player interacts and behaves (the running style of the guy in GTA3 makes it clear he''s used to operating outside the law, then again the running style of the pedestrians make them seem like ripe targets for beating down, too), etc.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
well, major difference between books and games, is that in books you experiance the story and create the image, when in game you experiance image then create the story through playing...

well i know that there is game which let you experiance story through image but basically there is two knid of story which get parallele path, and generally the story you create by your own action (how much time you turn around finding that damn trigger -event-npc, or did u solve the maze even how did u beat that da boss) are more abstract than the story they want to tell you but much more interactive

and you know what is an abstract story??? >>>>choregraphic
look at ancient game or even actual game te best which does not have that a great story, have great choregraphic value, now i''m thinking at game just like contra 3 ou r-type 3 which are great experiance

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
be good
be evil
but do it WELL
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>be goodbe evilbut do it WELL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Sure, lotsa games are in the "big production values" mold nowadays. Lotsa visuals, lotsa voice acting. But clearly, there are indie films without elaborate high budget sets. Maybe you still need good actors, but I think in games we just need "good something." We aren''t beholden to physical human beings, we''re a digital medium and can replace anything with whatever we want.

I see a profound lack of creativity in how people choose to express themselves in games nowadays. Because everyone sees the AAA high production values way of doing things at retail, nobody thinks of any other way to get by. Whereas a game such as King Of Dragon Pass uses no voice acting and no filming at all. Admittedly, they had extremely good 2D artwork and also music. Also, it''s not a title I''d point at to show "Look how many $$$$$$$$ you can make being an indie!" But I do think where there''s a will, there''s a way.

I recently replayed Seven Cities Of Gold on an Atari 800 emulator. "Talking to the natives" was modeled by dodging them. Games of that era had limitations, and game designers used the means of expression that they had available. Now that we have so many tools at our disposal, why do we forget that we can do something simple?

Brandon Van Every, 3DProgrammer, Seattle, WA
20% of the world is real. 80% is gobbledygook we make up inside our own heads.
Cheers, Brandon J. Van Every(cruise (director (of SeaFunc) '(Seattle Functional Programmers)))

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement