🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Designing the game story

Started by
1 comment, last by WiseElben 20 years, 6 months ago
I was writing the story for my game, but its really messy. So, I tried to get a good outline for my game outline. What I''m trying to say is harder to say than understand... You''ll see what I''m trying to get to. Here are the thigns I have tought up to make a good outline for a game outline/story: 1) Have an outline of events and when the events happen according to other events in the game. 2) Have full descriptions of characters and locations (cities, countries, ect.) 3) Have a short (1 page, perhaps?), cut-down, story of the game. Well, my actual point is, am I missing any parts? When you write a story for a game, do you write every single scene that will happen in the game? Mabey I should talk a bit about the game first. First of all, its a 2d RPG that will be using the RPGds Engine (crypticdesigns.com, sorry, too lazy for linky). Well, thats about all you need to know, I guess. Anyways, back to my problem. I know professional game writes would write every single scene and dialog in the game, just like a screenwriter, but that just seems like WAY too much work. If ya''ll think its better for me to do that, then I''ll probally do it. If ya''ll think it will be better for me to NOT have a dialog-by-dialog scene-by-scene description of everything, I won''t do it. Opinions? Quick Clickys: [ WiseElben.com | My Journal | nMagic | My Profile ] "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he will eat for a life time." -Chinese Proverb
Advertisement
Well, if writing the screenplay is too much work, how much work do you think making a video game is?

No, I don''t think you should write it down play-by-play before you start. A good outline, some character profiles, and a map are enough of a design doc, story-wise. The details will arise as you put together the actual game. If you go balls-out with the story now, you''ll feel bad every time you have to change it, so leave it a little uncertain, and then you won''t be afraid to go back and re-edit something that you just came up with yesterday.

bear in mind that you''ll be wanting to tweak the crap out of it every time you sit down to work on it, and you''ll eventually just decide to leave it imperfect because, damnit, you''ve wredone that scene a dozen times and you can''t bear to look at the code again. That''s fine. Imagine how the Halo guys feel every time they have to take a pass on the flamethrower. That must be Hell.
Iron Chef, I see your point. I''ve reedited my story a lot of times. I think I''ll just finish it, and do ONE more edit, and I''ll leave it.

Well, if writing the screenplay is too much work, how much work do you think making a video game is?

Good point. I meant like a WHOLE movie, a word-by-word project.

Quick Clickys: [ WiseElben.com | My Journal | nMagic | My Profile ]
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he will eat for a life time."
-Chinese Proverb

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement