🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

BoGD - Linux Immersion

Started by
3 comments, last by deanmat 23 years, 9 months ago
Hey Everyone... This week begins something I've decided to call my week of "Linux Immersion". From today until one week from today, I will only code (for Birth of a Game Developer) on my Linux computer! You can read more about this on my developer diary entry for today... http://www.gamelogic.com/DiaryPages/September2000/september_3,_2000.htm I've already spent quite a bit of time this last week with Linux, so I'm looking forward to spending a full week dedicated to getting myself up to speed with writing code on the Linux OS. Have a look at the entry and feel free to send me any comments or questions you have. Dean M. Edited by - deanmat on 9/5/00 10:13:03 AM
Advertisement
Hi All,

I''ve completed my Linux Immersion week and have written a short report of my experience at:

http://www.gamelogic.com/DiaryPages/September2000/september_12,_2000.htm

Here is a quote from the first paragraph...

"My week of Linux Immersion is over! To be quite blunt, it was not a pleasant experience. It was one filled with mostly frustration, with only short periods of delight."

Take a look at what I had to say about my experience and I look forward to any feedback.

Regards,

Dean M.
Specifically, Linux worked pretty much flawlessly (I''ve been able to crash it),
------------------------------------

Are you sure? Do you mean you crashed Linux or X Windows? I seriously doubt you''ve crashed Linux beyond recovery....

-----------------------------

A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."
-----------------------------A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."The Micro$haft BSOD T-Shirt
Hey ImmaGNUMan,

How to respond to your question without getting myself caught in the middle of an OS debate

You bring up an excellent point. One I was aware I might get pinned down on when I wrote the line! Here is my thinking regarding the so called "crash"...

First of all, the finer specifics of it are a bit sketchy to me right now. However, it is clear the problem I ran into was in the window manager and not the kernel of the OS. I don''t know whether it was X specifically, or possibly the KDE. I could easily be pursuaded it was in the KDE, at any rate, it required a hard reboot of the computer to get back up and running...and believe me, I tried hard to get back in before resorting to that. Hey, I didn''t want it to crash anymore than other people.

Here are some further thoughts...

When one typically thinks of an OS, we generally regard the whole operating environement, not just the kernel, as the OS. When I think of the Mac, I certainly think of the window manager as part of the OS, same for BeOS and even the PalmOS. However, an OS purist might not agree with that definition...and I can live with that. Though, I''d point out a consumer desktop OS is no good without a window manager. (Just thinking about this is kind of fun, I enjoy exploing OS concepts, it was one of my favorite CS classes)

When speaking of Linux, there is a bit of a difference due to the nature of how its development is continued. The KDE, GNOME and even the underlying X are regarded as separate components from the core OS. I can see arguments either way.

So, with all of the above, it can be safely said the crash was within the Linux operating environment, but not due to the internal core of the OS. I''m sure the event system was intact and running, just the window manager was dead and I couldn''t revive it

Thanks for your response, I enjoy going over these kinds of things! Also, before I get labeled a Linux basher...I''m NOT!! I''m looking forward to working with Linux! Just need to get over one more hump and I think I''ll be home free.

Dean M.
Ok, I don''t consider you a Linux basher but:

Im sure there are ways to recover from a KDE, X, Gnome crash, in fact, Im sure if you went to a IRC channel with Linux techies they could name 1001 ways, but in general if X crashes, you want to return to the commnad line, and try to restart X.

As for the definition of OS:
Ill agree that most people think of an OS as the whole package. Really, one of the few requirements for an OS is just an abstraction from the hardware. I disagree on the whole window manager thing, but to each their own.

Hmm, now Im gonna go see if I can get a screenshot of how I kept going through my /home directory and opened up about a hundred submenu''s (home->desktop->home).

-----------------------------

A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."
-----------------------------A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."The Micro$haft BSOD T-Shirt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement