🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is there an interest in game development kits?

Started by
12 comments, last by felonius 22 years, 4 months ago
Hi, Seeing this new forum, and somewhat assuming that it will attract people that are game writers - not programmers - and many of them hobbyists - I have to ask: Would any of you be interested in using tools - for non-programmers - that could allow you to turn your ideas from the storyboard into an actual game. Primitive versions of such tools are already available, RPG maker 2000, DC Games CRPG Adventure Toolkit, Bard''s Tale constrcutions is just a few that spring to mind. These are quite primitive, but would there be an interest in using more advanced tools? A lot of such tools is already under development various places (including my own project www.rolemaker.dk) but it would be interesting to know if I could count writers among the target group. Jacob Marner
Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games
Advertisement
I would certainly be interested!

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

You can certainly count on writers amongst your target group !
I personally prefer to write my own programs, but if such a kit is good enough I might give it a try.I did, after all, buy 3D Game Studio.

Runemaster
Join the Game Developers RuneRing !
The Specular Lightosis Research Fund
This is a message from God: "Rebooting the universe, please log off."
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
It''d be great for prototyping game ideas. I''d imagine there is a good market among small teams who need to prove their concept to publishers, and for designers who want to test new gameplay ideas without throwing off the schedule.

Go forth and create!

----------------------------------------
"Before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away and have their shoes." -- Deep Thoughts
Great, I like hearing this. It really motivates me in my work.

How is 3D Game Studio? Is it worth using?

And people, if you want to use such tools already now, there is a lot available - some better than others. Check out this site:
http://www.ambrosine.com/resource.html

Jacob Marner
3D Game Studio ? Hmm, it seems quite good.But I don''t have the time to learn the scripting language right now, and I prefer working with VB.I think I''ll take a look at it this christmas.BTW, be careful with this one.Some features mentioned in the package only exist in the "professional" (or whatever it''s called) versions.Still, I believe it''s a good tool.

Runemaster
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
I think I will give the standard edition a try. It looks really interesting. As a tool developer I think I should stay in touch with other tools. It''s only $49, but then you have to live with limiting lighting effects, max two simulatenous players, and a game studio in the top left corner of all games, but is good as an evaluation.

Jacob Marner
I got the standart ed. too.Hope you like it.
BTW nice site, only you should add TARGET="_top" to your links to other pages.

Runemaster now working on Acronia : Secrets of Magic
I was just wondering, that could we make up team, which creates only tools for game creators? I would love to use some advanced-enough 2D-mapeditor, which would have dialog editors and everything. One of the reasons why I DO NOT use tools which I can find, is that these 2D-engines are not powerful enough, not at all.
If we could make up team, which would create scrolling 2D-engine with OpenGL support (meaning that we could scroll screen in 640x480x16 resolution without slowdowns), I would change my old engine to new one for sure

-Paladin

Well Now,

I once bought a game making kit. It had loads of great screen shots, it said was easy to use and you need not have any programming knowledge. Of course when I installed all 40 megs of it, all it was was a C compiler with readme files. The CD only had 50 megs on it, what a waste. I was really disapointed and that incident kind of put me off games kits.

STVOY

Mega Moh Mine!!

The Yipsilon Home Page (Under Construction

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement