🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is there an interest in game development kits?

Started by
12 comments, last by felonius 22 years, 4 months ago
Hi,

After runemaster pointed me in the direction of 3D Games Studio I have been playing with the trial version (and ordered the standard edition too) and it looks really impressing. www.3dgamestudio.com. Look at some of the samples and download the trial.

It gives you a full 3D engine with tools, etc. for a very low price and no royalties when selling your creations. It is possible to build add-ons for it so an utility that you make becomes input for that program. So although 3D game studio requires some programming (built in script language) to be really useful it is possible to mkae your own tools in normal programming languages that output the fileformats for 3D game studio.

I am now seriously considering adopting this approach for my tool. In this way I can make a tool specialized for easy creation of RPGs that emit some files that when going through 3D game studio gives you a complete 3D textured real time game as an exe file. Other such specialized tools could be possible too;
one for RTS''es, one for adventures, one for FPS shooters and so on. This has the added advantage that models, textures, worlds, etc. can be reused between game types and if advanced user cannot accept the code produced with the specialized tools they can edit it afterwards in 3D game studio itself.

The major advantage is also that we has developers don''t have to consider low level engine detail because this has been taken care of. Note however that the performance is lower than if you had used a custom built engine for your purpose because generality is slower than speciality in engines - but this difference is quite small and can be accepted unless you have 20 masters in CompSci and Math to build you a state of the art engine customized for your game only.

I think that the scheme of using 3D Game Studio has some very great potential that should not be ignored. Look at it.

Jacob Marner
Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games
Advertisement
I''ve been using NeMo for a while now, and I think that it is very good for what I want to do. (I am an artist, and by no means a programmer) of course i have nothing to compare it to, but it is worth a look. plus, it has model exporters for about every 3d program available, which is really nice. also, the nemo community is very active, and if you have a question, their message boards are the best. just thought i would bring it to your attention.

-Luxury
I took a look at NeMo. It is pretty cool, be to be of real use for my purpose I would need to make my own behaviors just as 3D GameStudio is able to do. This would require me to buy the big version and I must say that US$4317 is a bit pricy for me. Compare this with the US$49 of 3D GameStudio and you see the difference. Especially because my add-on would require the user to buy this package which I must is quite much for people to try out my program.

So I think that I will stick to 3D GameStudio as my tool of choice.

Jacob Marner
Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games
hi

i am realy looking for an unlimited game creator tool-i realy have alot but alot of ideas and i do music too so it will be nice to create my own game with my one special music and sound efects so insert me to the list.
thanks ron
my email:
ron_poli@hotmail.com
non

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement