🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Oh great, thanks a lot Chris...

Started by
33 comments, last by Wavinator 20 years, 12 months ago
I don''t know. Every version I ever got in every CD that accompanied a Game Design book never worked.

However, it will likely have more impact in game writing that the much touted Truby''s Story Structure had for screenwriting, because, a, there were a million story structure classes selling at the time Truby came along, and b, interactive writing is much more complex, and any attempt to systematize it will likely get strong following in the inorganic camp of creativity, and eventually, even if Erasmatron is making some fundamental or minor assumption or application of approach errors, somebody is going to detect it eventually and improve upon the structure, perhaps discovering something very new or making an incremental innovation.

I wish one of my copies would work, so I knew more what the app did.

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

Advertisement
Here are the claims. Looked it up for you..

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5,604,855.WKU.&OS=PN/5,604,855&RS=PN/5,604,855

Just for the record:

The patent is still however only usable in the US I quess (if the patent applicant havn't gotten a patent in Europe or any other countries outside the US). To have the patent covering Europe you need to file an EPC application. Then they check if there are any similar patents and make a judgement out of that.

However it means that the present state of the patent is only valid in the United States.

------
http://www.uziana.com

[edited by - sigmaent on July 13, 2003 6:27:11 AM]
Arrrgggg.... stupid laws and crap. All i wanna do is make games!! Why must the law interfere with us having fun making fun?
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
this is where im totaly for carmack (which is usually 100% of the time ironicaly ) he dosnt beleive in software patents, and you can all see, for good reason...

btw. how do you define a patent on source code, i mean what "level" do you define it...

int a(int& i){i++;return i;}int a(int& i){return ++i;}

to me, those 2 functions do the same thing, and the same in
Java, Delphi, Python, Cobra, Kylix, C, C++, Fortan, Basic, VB,
VB.NET, C#, COBOL, (My/MS)SQL, PHP, JSP, &#106avascript, ASP, CGI,
VJ++, Assembly (x86, Alpha, MAC), Bash, Lisp, Pike, Stalin, Lingo
and punch cards while im at it..

i mean, those are just the ones i can think of...

so in my opinion (and its just that) if you really want to see
this industry flourish, dont do patentslike this & support GNU
and GPL occasionaly...

"Knowledge belongs to the world."

damn these software patents, i just wanna make games, wheres the
crime, why do we need 'protection'??

if 2 games use the same ideas, but one is implemented better,
why shouldnt it be more successful??

Half-Life & Diakatana ??
Both FPS's, but last i checked, HL was doin' better, why?
{{{{ BETTER IMPLEMENTATION }}}}

for fucks sake people.
-- Danushka Abeysuriya

edit: formating

A GOOD friend will come bail you out of jail...
but, a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn, we fucked up."
Ingite 3D Game Engine Home -- Just click it

[edited by - silvermace on July 13, 2003 7:07:07 AM]
"I am a donut! Ask not how many tris/batch, but rather how many batches/frame!" -- Matthias Wloka & Richard Huddy, (GDC, DirectX 9 Performance)

http://www.silvermace.com/ -- My personal website
Is there anyway to make every little trivial idea we might think of become publicly published. Therefore prevented stupid patents like this?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement