🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

AS 2.0 delayed - security risk with parameter references

Started by
9 comments, last by WitchLord 19 years, 6 months ago
I just discovered another difference between the GNUC and MSVC compilers that will delay the release of AS 2.0 a bit. If a class has a defined destructor, GNUC never passes arguments of this type by value. Instead it makes a local copy of the object and passes a reference to that object to the function. The calling function is also responsible for freeing this object afterwards. MSVC on the other hand passes all kinds of objects directly on the stack. Fortunately I don't think this will be too difficult to fix because of the way AS 2.0 handles objects, but there will likely be a delay of at least one week. Sometimes I curse my decision to allow AS to call normal C/C++ functions/methods. There just don't seem to be any standard in this. This makes it very difficult to port AS to other compilers. For AS 2.x I will add a generic calling convention where the application function will receive a pointer to the context stack directly and have special methods for manipulating the stack. Once that is done, compilers other than MSVC and GNUC will at least be able to use the generic calling convention. [Edited by - WitchLord on December 16, 2004 11:07:33 AM]

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Advertisement
Alright, I managed fix the problem with GNUC and objects.

Still I recently thought of a huge security risk that I have to fix for AS 2.0 (though not for the first WIP). It's about passing parameters by reference, it's simply not safe enough. Example:

void func(int[] &array, int &value){  array.resize(5);  value = 2;}void func2(){  int[] array(10);  func(array, array[9]);}

Calling func2() will make func() write to memory that is not allocated. In this small example this probably won't cause a problem, but in other situations it could be a huge security risk. Might even be possible for hackers to cause harm to the user's computer.

I have to figure out a way to make parameters by reference safe, or I'll have to remove them completely.

I'm open to suggestions here.

For objects that the library can control the life time for this is not a problem, the library just need to add an extra reference to the object before the function call, and then release it afterwards.

But for primitives or objects that don't allow the control of their lifetime the compiler would have to do something else. Maybe create a local copy of the value, and pass it's reference to the function, and when the function returns copy the value back to it's original location (if it still exists). This would solve the above example in that the script would through an out-of-range exception once the function returned. I think this is the best solution right now though it does have it's own set of problems. The script code would have to compute the argument expression twice, once to get the value that must be passed to the function, and another time to store the value returned in the parameter. This could create inconsistencies that I would prefer avoiding, the expression for an object argument is computed once, but the expression for primitives are computed twice.

Another solution would be to disable parameters by reference completely, but instead allow multiple return values. I kind of like this idea, but it would require a big change to the language that I don't want to do right now. It would still be possible to register normal C/C++ functions.

I haven't found a solution that I really like yet, but I'll continue to analyse this.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Quote: Original post by WitchLord
I'm open to suggestions here.

You'll need to use something like manually implementing fat-pointers, which keep track of the size of the array. This way you can gracefully quit when the program accesses memory outside the bounds of the array. There isn't really any other ways around these types of problems without restricting program behaviour (you can only do certain things with certain types), unless you want to go along the awful C route of undefined behaviour and buffer-overflows.
If I were making a programming language for writing applications I could have left this security hole open, just like C/C++ does. But as a scripting library it is out of the question.

AngelScript already do bounds checking for arrays, but it doesn't solve this problem, because the function that received the parameter reference doesn't know where it came from.

I think I will be forced to remove parameter references altogether, and go with my second idea of allowing multiple return values. This will affect the scripting language, but it shouldn't have to affect the library interface too much.

Since AS will support object handles, these can still be used to pass objects by reference, but primitive values cannot be passed by reference.

I think the array should be implemented in a different way. Since element 9 still has open references, it shouldn't be possible to "delete" it by shrinking the array. The resize method should probably check the reference count of all elements that are about to be removed.
The example with the array was just an example to illustrate the problem in an easy to understand way. The problem could arise in other situations as well, for example with object properties.

If such things CAN happen, there's a flaw in your reference counting system. AS should simply refuse to remove/delete something that still has open references. This does sound a bit like bashing, but that's the whole purpose of the reference counting.
I agree, the reference counting should keep track of that sort of thing causing AS to throw (or whatever it does) when an operation tries to perform an action that would cause the sort of problem you're describing.
In my opinion the result of the operation would be an error such as unable to delete an element from a primitive array that has a reference count greater than 1 (Assuming that the array itself holds the first reference for each of its elements).
I hear you, and I agree, partly. If AngelScript was not so open, allowing almost any type of object to be registered (even overriding the default array object) I could have implemented it like you said, by adding reference counters for each element (or some other sort of locking mecanism). But as it is I think it would not be beneficial to the library.

But I will analyze this more before making the final decision.

Thank you all for your concern for AngelScript, I will do my best not disappoint you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement