🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

AngelScript 2.2.0 WIP 5 (2005/05/31)

Started by
41 comments, last by kaysik 19 years ago
I was reading over the update and noticed the addition of the garbage collection and script structs etc. Haven't really kept upto date with forums so you might have explained this already but in the update you said the lib will probably call the GC automatically in the future. I'm sure to many people this would be very handy but personally I don't need script structures or garbage collection so I'm just wondering how much overhead this adds to the lib? I'm still running 2.1 I think, because I don't need any of the added features and I'm just wondering if I should stay there. If I don't use any script structures or advanced features will the GC be disabled?
Advertisement
I know that not everyone needs or wants the structures, so I will make it possible to disable them with a compile time option (preprocessor flag).

The GC only adds an overhead if structures are used, since without the structures, the current reference counting scheme is enough. The GC is necessary to resolve circular references that may occur with the use of structures, but the library only uses the GC for those structures that can actually generate circular references. This means that most of the structures won't even end up in the GC.

If you don't need any of the new features in 2.2.0 I suggest you stay with 2.1.0 since that is the stable version. 2.2.0 will not be a new stable version, as I think it is too soon for that. I have many more features I want to include before replacing the current stable version.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Quote: Original post by WitchLord
The GC only adds an overhead if structures are used

Thats what I wanted to hear :D I'll stick with 2.1 for the moment as suggested, but its nice to know that if I do update later it still shouldn't be an issue.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement