🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

couple of suggestions

Started by
2 comments, last by JD 19 years, 1 month ago
In the docs mention: - call order of functions ie. Register_Blah() must come after Blah() but before Foo(), etc. I'm new and had to look at a sample to figure this out. - an example of IOutputStream in docs, mention that user has to extend from this abstract class and override virtual Write() function. - maybe make a SUCCEEDED()/FAILED() macros because asSUCCEEDED is defined as zero but success values can be other than zero and then assert() would be invoked eventhough function returned ok if assert was written like this: int rv = asBlah(); assert(rv == asSUCCEEDED); and rv returned a 3 for example. So far so good. Other than the call sequence problems AS is easy to use so far. It would be great if you could totally remove the dependance on users looking thru source/headers of AS to use AS. Thanks.
Advertisement
Quote: assert(rv == asSUCCEEDED);

assert(rv >= asSUCCEEDED);

Quote: call order of functions ie. Register_Blah() must come after Blah() but before Foo(), etc. I'm new and had to look at a sample to figure this out.

Well of course Blah has to exist before you can register it. It follows the same rules as the rest of C++. What's this foo then? Nothing there suggests it's even related.

Actually I have never found the need to look past angelscript.h, and only then because my internet wasn't working and I'd forgotten where I stuck the appmanual.
JD:

It's a valid point. I'll see if I can include these informations in the manual.

It's unfortunate but I'm not all that good at writing manuals (what programmer is?). Still, I believe that with feedback like yours the manual will in time be improved to a level that can be called good.

Regards,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Deyja,

the reason you create macros like SUCCEEDED()/FAILED() is so that it encapsulates the knowledge of dealing with detecting errors so that the user of the program doesn't have to deal with the internals as much and waste time unecessarily.

WitchLord,

it's great that you're putting effort into the docs because that makes things easier for me and others. I really like how you wrote various articles and made the hard parts easy. Like building AS as dll, lib, etc. I could have figured it out myself but by you writing it out you saved me time and questions. You can never have enough docs because you can always cross reference verbose concepts and fill in the blanks that way. If you just wrote a terse paragraph on usage then I would be lost and I would be wanting to use your software but be pulling my hairs out at the same time and cursing the devil :)

Basically, your docs exhibit an attention to detail that I find refreshing for once. That's a sign of a good programmer if not exceptional one. Hey, it's friday the 13th and I was born on that day so I wonder if the sky is going to fall or whether the negativity makes me positive :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement