🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

BMFont question

Started by
2 comments, last by coding penguin 17 years, 8 months ago
Hello all, first i want to mention that the BMFont generator is a great tool! It's easy to use and has a lot of options. But besides of that i have a question: i want to determine the total height of a font as describe in the win32 api reference, that means the distance between the top of a uppercase m and tho bottom of a lowercase g. I was wondering if the lineHeight parameter in the commonInfo tag would do this for me!? Would that mean that a char could maximum have (lineHeight-base) pixels below the baseline? Is the lineHeight in pixels equal to the font's size?? Greetings, omega237
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by omega237
first i want to mention that the BMFont generator is a great tool! It's easy to use and has a lot of options.

Thanks. :)

Quote:
I was wondering if the lineHeight parameter in the commonInfo tag would do this for me!?

The line height is the distance between one line and the other, i.e. how far down you should move the cursor when encountering a new-line. This is however not the same thing as the distance between the top of a uppercase M and the bottom of the lowercase g. It is usually slightly larger.

Quote:
Would that mean that a char could maximum have (lineHeight-base) pixels below the baseline?

Yes, it does.

Quote:
Is the lineHeight in pixels equal to the font's size??

Yes, it usually is. This depends on the true type font however. The size of the font is what I use when creating the font object with CreateFont(), and the lineHeight is taken from the GetTextMetrics() output. (if I remember correctly)

Regards,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Hello Andreas,

thanks for the answer.

You really helped me out!

Greetz,

omega237
im using this tool too. keep it up!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement