🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Stepping through code / Breakpoints?

Started by
2 comments, last by WitchLord 17 years, 5 months ago
The angelscript documentation says that you can set breakpoints and step through code using Angelscript. Is there any documentation or examples for setting this up for an application that uses angelscript? Thanx in advance.
Advertisement
I don't have any ready code to show how this is done. Though you may have a look as test_debug.cpp (in the test_feature project) for ideas on how it can be done.

Basically you'll have a to register a Line callback function with the AngelScript context. The callback function is then called for every statement executed, allowing the application to choose if the execution should be suspended or continued. Once in the callback function you can call the various methods on the context to determine current line and function to check if a breakpoint has been set or not.

I intend to write a manager class that implements this and many other things that can be done with AngelScript, but I haven't had the time to start with that yet.

Regards,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

i think that's probably enough info for our developers to go from...we've added profiling of every script into our latest engine build - i'm impressed how fast angelscript is, almost zero overhead from the scripts themselves...any slowdowns are the functions we're calling internally.

btw, you can check out how we're using the scripting system at www.beyondvirtual.com - there is a free starter kit version that's available to check out and tons of examples on the forum of how people are using it. it's so easy to expose new functionality via the scripting system - i'm lovin it ;}

thanx.
Thanks for the compliments. I've worked hard on AngelScript and it feels great that other appreciate my work.

Let me know if there's something you'd like to see in AngelScript to make it even better for you guys.

I saw Beyond Virtual quite some time ago, it looks like a really good game engine, or as you say on the site: game development suite. If I was looking for a game engine I would definitely look into this one as a potential candidate.

Regards,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement