🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

AngelScript-ed AI

Started by
3 comments, last by WitchLord 17 years, 5 months ago
I was planning to use DLLs as an AI component that outside developers can make. However there are too much security issues in doing that so that I must sandbox those DLLs. Are AngelScript source files secure by design or should I sandbox them.. I am considering replacing the DLLs with AngelScript files (bytecode). Excuse me if I appear to be totally ignorant about the library (although am quite interested in it)...
[ my blog ]
Advertisement
What do you mean with secure?

AngelScript scripts can only call functions that the application exposes, so if you don't expose any non-secure functions AngelScript should be secure. Also, since AngelScript doesn't support pointers it cannot access memory that the application doesn't permit.

If you're intending to use precompiled bytecode you need to make sure that nobody has tampered with the bytecode before executing it (for example through check-sum validation etc).

Regards,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

He means that DLLs are not secure. Someone could write a DLL that steals local files and emails them to China or something like that.

arithma, AS can only do what you allow it to do. If you do not provide the functionality to read files, then AS will not be able to read files.
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
Maybe someone would be interested in this post (specifically: AI interfacing).

I want to adopt AngelScript, but I might need some help in implementing it in the system. Would anyone like to take care of that?

Remember that by doing so, you will be co-publicizing my project and AngelScript itself.

Hoping for the best.
[ my blog ]
You're always welcome to ask me about anything AngelScript related, be it bug reports or queries about how to best do something.

I won't be able to help you with any actual coding, as I'm too busy with my own projects.

Your project sounds very interesting, and if you end up using AngelScript to control the AI I would be very pleased.

Regards,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement