🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

D3DIM Alpha Texture Question

Started by
2 comments, last by NightShade 24 years, 8 months ago
If the alpha blending state is enabled and DirectX comes across textures without an alpha channel they should be rendered opaque as normal. One set of alpha-related render states should be sufficient for all alpha and non-alpha rendering. It wouldn't matter though, since in order for alpha polygons to be rendered properly they have to be sorted and rendered after opaque ones and in a back to front order at that.
Advertisement
Thanks alot, that definately helps!
ns
-ns-
Hi,
I'm trying to render a 3D scene with mostly solid (5,5,5) textures, and a few alpha textures (4,4,4,4) that will be translucent objects (smoke billboards, etc). My question is twofold: first, what does D3DIM do when alpha blending is on and the textures it's using don't contain any alpha info?

Second, is there a renderstate combo that I can set to render the whole scene (both non alpha and alpha textures) so that the non-alpha data is rendered as solid polygons and the alpha polygons are drawn translucent depending on their alpha channel, or do I have to change states (SRCBLEND, DESTBLEND, or ALPHABLENDENABLE) when rendering the translucent polygons?

-ns-
My pleasure.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement