🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Font Generator

Started by
5 comments, last by spookycat 16 years, 3 months ago
Hi There Iam just playing around with your excellent Bitmap Font tool and was wondering if there is any reason why I cant get it to output some fonts, for example FixedSys always comes out as Arial when I try to visualise it. Chris
Advertisement
This is the first time I've heard about this problem. I tried to reproduce the problem, but I can visualize the FixedSys font normally.

Can you tell me more about your system? What version of Windows are you using? Is it an international verion?

Can you send me the configuration file, i.e the .bmfc file?

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Played with it some more and if I set the font size to 46 and below I get the correct font, anything above 46 it gives me an Arial font instead of fixedsys.
Chris
Interesting. That must be a limitation of GDI, for some reason it switches to Arial when the font is too large. Probably because FixedSys is a bitmap font rather than a TrueType font, and there are no bitmaps defined for those sizes.

I get the same behaviour, though I can go as high as 185 without it switching to Arial. Are you perhaps using supersampling? That would explain why you get this effect already on size 46.

There's unfortunately not much I can do about this, except switching to another font renderer (perhaps FreeType), but this is not something I plan on doing anytime soon. I want to thank you for informing of this though. I'll add it to the documentation as a known problem.

Regards,
Andreas

[edit]Changed FreeFont to FreeType[/edit]

[Edited by - WitchLord on March 30, 2008 11:05:18 AM]

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Ive tried with sampling on and off and with cleartype on and off on my system but still cant get past size 46 on my Xp system. Doesnt really matter I guess as the fonts that cause issues dont benefit from scaling anyway as you say.

Do you mean FreeFont or did you mean FreeType? Found some tutorials on using Freetype so maybe I'll have a bash myself.

Simple Glyph Loading
Managing Glyphs
Tutorial on using FreeType

[Edited by - spookycat on March 30, 2008 11:24:09 AM]
If you're looking for a truetype version of FixedSys, look here.
Oh many thanks for that :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement