🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Bitmap Font Generator inaccuracy?

Started by
2 comments, last by WitchLord 16 years, 2 months ago
Hello, I'm looking into using the Bitmap Font Generator for use in Nintendo DS development but i'm having some issues with the glyph sizes. With smaller font sizes (say 12 or 14 pixels without supersampling) the xoffset, yoffset and xadvance values seem to be off by 1 pixel in any random direction. For example all capital letters are 1 pixel lower than the other letters, these consistencies vary with the font type and font size. Is this a known issue? My suspicion is it's some sort of sub-pixel/windows-font-rendering/rounding error :P (i assume you're using GDI to render the glyphs and get their metrics). Thanks!
Advertisement

with fonts that size, I guess you'll have to forget about vectored fonts and use old fashioned, hand made, bitmap fonts, it will give you far better results
Thanks, but we've used similar tools which do export the glyph sizes correctly (so it is possible) but i prefer AngleCode's because instead of simply drawing the gylphs into a grid it nicely arranges them to use the least amount of texture space.

Alot of non-serif fonts scale very nicely to those size ranges; check out Arial, Verdana or similar, it doesn't get any clearer/sharper than that.
I've never noticed this before. Could you send me the configuration file for the font that have these offsets?

I'm currently working on version 1.10 and if possible I'll fix this problem as well for that version.

Also, what other programs have you used that doesn't have these problems?

Thanks,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement