🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

College courses for programming?

Started by
4 comments, last by diamondhawk 22 years, 12 months ago
I''m about to start college this fall and was wondering if there are any specific courses one would need to take that have any relation to or about programming Video Games? I plan on majoring in Computer Programming with a minor in Software Engineering and/or Computer Sciences. Does anyone know of the courses involved with these or if there are any specific courses that I would need to take to help me with the aspects of programming games? ~Diamondhawk
Advertisement
Here is a link to a thread just like this. It is one of many.

Here is the way to find many more threads just like that. Hint: use words like college courses game in the keywords.

Don''t take this post the wrong way. I''m just tired and don''t feel like typing much more tonight but noticed nobody has responded to this after a while now. Don''t want you feeling ignored.

YAP-YFIO
-deadlinegrunt

~deadlinegrunt

Thanks for the link. it helped some but not as much as I''d have hoped for. It just tells me to do what I was planning on a, B.S in Computer Science and or Software Engineering along with a minor in Programming. Currently trying to find some online books to download on C++ because well...due to paying for a car, I have no money to even try to buy any books and compilers on C++ and game design.

Oh, and dont feel bad about making me feel ignored Deadline, I''m used to it. Lots of people ignore me, thats why I stayed holed up next to my baby (this computer) almost 24/7 when I''m not searching for a part time job.

~Diamondhawk
quote: Oh, and dont feel bad about making me feel ignored Deadline, I''m used to it. Lots of people ignore me, thats why I stayed holed up next to my baby (this computer) almost 24/7 when I''m not searching for a part time job.

Hey, dude! Get funny! You aren''t gonna go anywhere with that sad point of view of life. If you are gonna do programming, do it because you like it, and you are sure, not because you have no alternative.

I always try not to opine about ways of life, I just hope you discover it''s not funny not to be funny.

And something important. You have to know that the most important stuff have to be learned by yourself, nobody can teach you it. University is like a complement, just a help in your way.

IMHO.

Have a nice day.

--DK
--H. Hernán Moraldo

--DK--H. Hernán Moraldohttp://www.hhm.com.ar/Sign up to the HHM's developers' newsletter.
Well you definately want to get a couple math classes. I don''t know how much calculus has helped me in game programming so far, but you definately probably want to take at least 2 of those. Also linear algebra is great. Take some physics. As far as computer classes go, I think the best ones I''ve had so far was one that worked with assembly, a network programming one, and an operating systems course. Although basically all I learned in the last two you can be learned by searching for tutorials on sockets and threads over the internet, but hey there easy credits. I''m signed up for an AI class in the fall and I''m guessing that will be useful for game programming. But really in most colleges you can''t really learn game programming by taking classes, its all on your own (at least in my experience). Have fun in school.

-lao
Oh, and since you said you were strapped for cash. You should check out if your college has a microsoft technology group there. You can check out www.studentdev.net to see if they do. They give out all kinds of free stuff, pretty much anything microsoft makes, best thing though is they can get you a copy of visual studio for free.
Good Luck,
-lao

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement