🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Synergies of Imagination, Reality, and People

Started by
17 comments, last by bishop_pass 22 years, 11 months ago
This whole thing was inspired by a conversation with sunandshadow regarding conceptualizing things as opposed to directly experiencing them. However, I am sure it strays and wanders from that idea significantly, but in the end comes around, just like experiences with people tend to... Imagination fuels the fire and leads us to experience the world in a way that transcends the everyday reality we are familiar with. And conversely and synergistically, reality which transcends the mundane captures our imagination and provides new energy which primes our imagination. Somewhere along the treacherous route up a certain famous creek, reality gives way to some mighty alternative reality that leaves the mundane behind and grabs hold of your spirit not with subtlety, but with force, and carries you out of this world into a world fueled by your imagination and your overwhelmed sense of the vision before your eyes. I have never been able to convey it to one who has never experienced it. And if one has experienced it, then they are part of a community where conveying it among its members is no longer necessary. Communities unified through experience exist throughout the world. Members of such communities don''t even know each other, yet are bound together through common experience. Life is funny the way it throws things at you that are just waiting to be discovered through exploration. People you meet everyday share with you experiences that you aren''t aware of until you engage them in conversation. A virtual network of people, both mundane and very definitely not mundane are often only one person removed from knowing everyone else within any given community. This is reality, and the experience of reality, and the exploration of life''s potential. That famous creek is a lightning rod of interaction, experience, heightened awareness, isolation, life, death, imagination, friendship, memories, fear, and adventure. This is the beginning of an essay I feel motivated to write. I haven''t finished it yet, but I want to post the whole thing here when I do. In it I hope to touch on things as diverse as feelings of strength and weakness, life and death, crossing paths with mentors, houses built of silver, detention camps, chance encounters, and the merging of imagination with reality. Any thoughts? Does this sound remotely interesting?
Advertisement
yes it actually does sound very interesting.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Wow, it sounds nearly like a poem, or something. Yeah, thats some pretty interesting writing.
Well, thank you, to Nazrix and Moe for saying this might be interesting. Nobody else?

Really though, I would encourge anyone else out there to use this topic to write about their own interpretation of this topic's title: Synergies of Imagination, Reality, and People . Whatever your interpretation would be, I'm sure it would be interesting and different. There's a lot of room for interpretation, and it need not follow the theme present in my sample above. Just think of it as another avenue of creative thinking.

Edited by - bishop_pass on July 5, 2001 3:39:34 AM
I absolutely agree with you bishop. It also definitely reads like a poem. The feeling is like your heart being torn from your body, or at least fluttering... you kind of feel like you are on the verge of knowing the entirety of the mysteries of the world, and you are invincible. You know that you must create this, and must show the world what it is, and in your own way express your joy at having found it. It is the way I started game programming, design, and writing

It is the way of a kind of Game and Ideas god. It is creativity flowing through you, making you want to use the gifts that you have been granted to show the world how to experience the thrill and exhileration that you have felt... Or maybe I am the only one to have experienced this, and you all now believe that I am on drugs

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - The future of RPGs Thanks to all the goblins in the GDCorner niche

Bishop...I think some of the ideas are interesting, but I have to say it all sounds a little pretentious to me. Perhaps if we saw the work in its entirety rather than in pieces, it would flow somewhat better.

Just a suggestion.
_________________________The Idea Foundry
Pretentious? In what way? Maybe the final piece is pretentious.

Maybe things which seem pretentious are by that simple virtue the ones which merit writing about. It certainly is NOT about any greatness I might have. If anything, it is about my failure. Is it about my membership within some community? If it is, than it is my desire to share that community''s experience with others.

No doubt everyone shares powerful experiences with others. If not, then seek them out. If so, then share them with others.
Actually, I was referring to the style not the substance. In any case, you asked for feedback which I have provided. Perhaps I am the only one who sees it this way, which in no way invalidates my opinion on the matter.

_________________________The Idea Foundry
I like the beginning of this, but I see a few problems. Do you want detailed feedback, or do you want to wait to post in the entirety? (I ask because you seem to be gauging interest maybe more than wanting constructive criticism)

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
quote: Original post by Wavinator
I like the beginning of this, but I see a few problems. Do you want detailed feedback, or do you want to wait to post in the entirety? (I ask because you seem to be gauging interest maybe more than wanting constructive criticism)

Mostly, I am gauging interest. As for criticism, you are its audience, not jusst its beta testers. Judge and criticize where you wish, but don't make assumptions unless you have read it all. Of course, all of it does not exist yet, so even I can't say what its final form is.

If you can make it better, then please show me. If you want to include your own alternative interpretation of whatever this topic is about, then I only wish you would. I can't say anymore than anyone else what all the possible interpretations the title words of this topic could possibly mean, so please share your own vision.

I don't want deconstruction here. All I want is strong writing (not necessarily claiming that my writing is strong) that says something about living.

Edited by - bishop_pass on July 5, 2001 11:28:33 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement