🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

writing & gaming

Started by
20 comments, last by Tacit 22 years, 11 months ago
Hey, does anyone here actually write about gaming, or write content for games, or are you all just a bunch of navel gazers?? I thought this was supposed to be a forum about writing about and/or for games development. So...what projects have people worked on and what are you working on currently? I''ll start. Currently the EiC of a new gaming Web site, as well as designing a game, in my spare time of course. Professionally, I write for tech companies that are in the games and film industry. Sound out!
_________________________The Idea Foundry
Advertisement
You are the guy who writes the game manuals? Or what exactly do you do?

Humanity''s first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt
Humanity's first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt
Or storylines... ?

No sig yet.
"Beware", said I.
My full-time job is as a marketing and technology writer for a 3D company with close ties to the games industry. In my ''spare time'' I am the EiC of Gamitopia.com, and I am working on a game design as well. I have worked as a story designer on a game that didn''t ever materialize.

You people?
Whoops, that last post was mine. Sorry about that.
quote: Original post by Tacit
I thought this was supposed to be a forum about writing about and/or for games development. So...what projects have people worked on and what are you working on currently?

I''ll start. Currently the EiC of a new gaming Web site, as well as designing a game, in my spare time of course. Professionally, I write for tech companies that are in the games and film industry.

Disgruntled former game programmer now making real money outside the industry.

I''m working in my spare time (with a few others around here) on the possibilities of randomly created stories that arise from plotting and scheming agents

...among other things, that is...

Not sure why the forum''s been so quiet lately...

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Tacit=AP? that''s ok.

What''s EiC?

I do nothing, I''m a beginner game programmer. Well, it''s not that I do nothing, I''m actually a biology major with a bit of programming background and a love of games.

What is it like to do the story design for a game? I mean, do you have the freedom to put in there what you want or do you have to write what they (the developers) want?

(Sorry if I sound out of phase, I''m totally new at this).

No sig yet.
"Beware", said I.
quote:
Disgruntled former game programmer now making real money outside the industry.

I''m working in my spare time (with a few others around here) on the possibilities of randomly created stories that arise from plotting and scheming agents

...among other things, that is...

Not sure why the forum''s been so quiet lately...

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...

Hmm...sounds like a very interesting project. Kind of like magnetic fridge poetry on a massive scale...

You''ve been reading Kurzweil...sounds like your project is right up his alley.

R.

quote: Original post by OrbWeaver
Tacit=AP? that''s ok.

What''s EiC?

I do nothing, I''m a beginner game programmer. Well, it''s not that I do nothing, I''m actually a biology major with a bit of programming background and a love of games.

What is it like to do the story design for a game? I mean, do you have the freedom to put in there what you want or do you have to write what they (the developers) want?

(Sorry if I sound out of phase, I''m totally new at this).

No sig yet.

EiC = editor-in-chief. Gamitopia.com.

Everybody does something. Your game deve heritage sounds as honourable as anyone elses here -- nothing to be ashamed of. Really, I''m just an EngLit major with a love for games and some good industry experience. And Shakespeare was just a guy with a pen and lots of time on his hands. (not that I''m comparing myself to Einstein)

Well, designing the story for a game is very challenging and exciting at the same time. It''s very much unlike anything else I''ve ever written because you have to keep in mind that the story is non-linear by nature. You can''t direct people too much or else they feel like they don''t have control, but you can''t give them too much freedom or else you can''t tell a story. It''s a delicate balancing act really.
Damn...that last post was me again. Not Einstein surely!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement