🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

writing & gaming

Started by
20 comments, last by Tacit 22 years, 11 months ago
I''ve written one story and two scripts intended for games. The first two are done. Cradle Quest 1 and 2. 3 is written but I have little intention of doing anything with it.

I wrote and directed three videos that were done for school. I have one script sitting and waiting to be filmed. Just need the people and the time.

I have hundreds of pages of various writtings I''ve done for various reasons.

Currently I''m a programmer for a pro project which hopefully will be out before the end of the year. It''s getting there.

Basically I could write content for games, I just don''t really as my style is more linear. There''s plenty of missions to go around in Tombstone, I''m sure a few of them will be designed by me.

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com

Advertisement
Neat project Ben...Tombstone looks like it''s coming along. Congrats...

R.
I've written 4 articles that have been posted on GDNet, and I have a gig to write a chapter in an upcoming book on game design. But most of my recent writing has been for a couple of newsletters I put out and some articles focusing on dice-and-paper RPGs (Role-Playing Game Resources).

Probably not the kind of "writing" that Tacit was asking about, though, since this forum is supposed to be more about "creative" writing, I think. And except for work on my current D&D campaign, I haven't done "creative writing" in a long, long time...

DavidRM
Samu Games

Edited by - DavidRM on July 15, 2001 2:23:11 PM
Actually, that''s exactly the kind of writing I''m talking about! Not just ''creative'' writing as you put it, but any kind of writing about games, or content to be used within a game, whether it be dialogue, character development, setting, storyline, manuals, anything.

Tell us more about your projects...they sound interesting. What articles have you written about Game Dev? What pen and paper RPGs are you currently playing?
_________________________The Idea Foundry
I suppose I ought to respond to this thread. Of non-fiction documents like you're talking about I've written one on how to create an alien language, one on what the purpose of entertainments like books, movies, and games is, and a couple little things - lessons on how to design things, how to make each of your characters sound distinct, and a worldbuilding article I've never been able to finish. I haven't submitted any of these to gamedev.

Of game designs, I have worked on single player and mmorpg, rpg and adventure, Pg-13 rated and X-rated. None of these have ever been finished due to problems getting and keeping an unfunded team together.

Of fiction I have made a few attempts at a novel, and actually completed a handful of short stories, maybe 1 of which is good enought to be published. As you may be able to tell I have difficulty thinking of short projects interesting enough to be worth writing, and completing long projects.

I'm currently writing worldbuilding for an adult mmorpg and quickly getting sick of not being the one who gets to make the big design decisions.

Edited by - sunandshadow on July 16, 2001 11:50:13 PM

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Well...I''m sorta new to the forum, but I''m currently writing the storyline and script (possibly) for a game that I also hope to help develop 3D models for.

I''m undecided on what the game should be...RPG or FPS...I think it could fall into both categories really...but its plot seems a bit more along the lines of an RPG. I just sat down one night, angry at China for one reason or another (lol...j/k, I like China) and decided to start writing.

I''m only 17, so I don''t have too much skill in writing, but my mind is bursting with ideas like a bag of popcorn. If any of you are familiar with Deus Ex, it''s more along the lines of what I have here (not the story, but the type of game). Has RPG elements, but might be more fun if it were a fps or action game (such as Metal Gear Solid if you''ve played it).

As I said, I''m not experienced at this...so I guess why I''m posting, is because I''m wondering if anyone here would be interested in critiquing my writing (not for grammatical junk or anything) but for elements of a game. if you think the story is complete...if the characters are developed, etc, etc. The story''s not done yet, but I''d still be glad to show it to anyone...

I don''t like doing e-mail correspondance, so if you''d like to give me a hand and take a look at it (it''s far from neat and organized, cuz it''s really just a lot of ideas jotted down in a type of order) , then you can contact me by e-mail, and include your contact info such as AIM Screen name, or ICQ UIN, or something like that. I''d appreciate any help!

my e-mail''s rage@river-delta.com

thanks...sorry for the lengthy post
Im new to this forum since I just discovered it six hours ago. I was just browsing through and noticed this. Ive been writing videogame concepts since I was eight and Im twenty-one now. I started with side scrolling type stuff like Double Dragon and Castlevania. I was particularly fond of the Double Dragon arcade game and had some ideas on how to improve it. Even though this game really lacked a story this was the kind of game that didn''t require one. I was influenced by games like Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star and started writing more complex storylines using an old 286 with a 50 meg hardrive (which didn''t take long to fill up). I had never had any clue how to make it into a full fledged game though. I began playing RPG''s like they were going out of style and eventually started playing DnD with a group. We chronicled everything our characters have done for the past seven yaers and have enough content for several novels. We have an ongoing Cyberpunk campaign based in citys entirely original. Videogames and gaming in general are our lives (even if that makes us complete loosers in the eyes of the general public). Ive done some level desighn with FPS style games as well as some of the more graphical aspects. Ive also been working on a Rom hack of the original Final Fantasy game. But recently Emulation and Rom hacking aren''t quite doing it for me so Ive decided to get started on making games from the ground up. The search for information regarding the proper steps has taken me here.

Sorry to ramble on and on, but caffein has a tendency to do this to a person.
If they thought Mortal Kombat was bad wait'll they get a load a my creation.
It''s interesting that so many of us are in the same boat. We all love gaming, we enjoy (if not live for) writing, and many of us have had to watch our projects fall to pieces because the teams we joined couldn''t keep it together. I guess there''s a kind of social Darwinism at work in the gaming industry. Still, I wonder if things would be different if all the most talented game writers were able to get together in once place and just develop game stories. Think of it as an idea incubator. It could be funded by the entertainment industry, and could be a training facility for people who want to write and create for this revolutionary new storytelling medium. I guess something like this probably already exists.
_________________________The Idea Foundry
Yeah, it''s called GameDev forums.

I''ve spent a long time suffering the plague of independent designers: a lack of motivation. Quite a few projects have popped into mind and faded with nothing to show for my time. That''s going to change sooner or later, but I''m having some life difficulties right now, so it could be a while.

Before my computer went on the fritz, I was developing a parody on Japanimation. The style was side-scrolling arcade, like Capcom''s D&D games (damn I love those), but based in an alternate modern era. Things were coming along nicely until just recently, and now I can''t even install Visual Studio anymore.

Such is life.

GDNet+. It's only $5 a month. You know you want it.

quote: Original post by Tacit
Still, I wonder if things would be different if all the most talented game writers were able to get together in once place and just develop game stories.

That is theoretically what this forum is for. Somehow cooperative story development doesn''t seem to happen here, although encouraging it has been one of my goals as moderator. One problem that I have noticed is that talented writers tend to have unique visions that tend not to mesh with other talented writers'' unique visions. Everyone hear has a different idea of what a great game story would be like. (Feel free to proove me wrong here, I find this a depressing conclusion.) The other problem is that really unique ideas don''t seem to attract staff as well as knock-offs or "just like X only better" ideas. (Also a depressing thought.)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement