🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Computing Science Degree?

Started by
3 comments, last by Sturm5 14 years, 7 months ago
Hello, I am currently a student at the University of Alberta and enrolled in Arts. I was thinking of going into business but I recently found out that one can major in Computing Science as a Bachelor of Sciences degree. I am wondering if getting a Bachelors in Science with a Computing Science degree is sufficient to enter the Video Game industry from an educational standpoint, or whether I really do need to go to a game design school, as I have been reading on most sites I come across on Google. Also, would there be an advantage to pursuing a Masters degree after the BSc? Thank-you!
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Sturm5
1. I am wondering if getting a Bachelors in Science with a Computing Science degree is sufficient
2. or whether I really do need to go to a game design school,
3. as I have been reading on most sites I come across on Google.
4. Also, would there be an advantage to pursuing a Masters degree after the BSc?

1. Read FAQ 49.
2. Read Regular college vs. game school
More about regular college vs. game school
And still more about regular college vs. game school
Appearances don't matter as much as you think
3. Then stop reading those websites! They're BAD websites!
4. Nobody can foretell your future for you. Go for the Masters if you want to and are able. Don't go for it if you don't want to but are able. Don't go for it if you want to but cannot, Young Jedi!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

If you want to be a game programmer, then computer science is a good idea.

If you want to be a designer, then design school is a good idea.
To support Tom's point, I'm not a game developer myself, but of all the guys I know who are game developers, all of them had a B.S. Computer Science. I really don't think that any game studio is going to turn up their nose at you because you have a traditional degree instead of a game dev degree.

Another point is that they had a passion for games and made developing them their hobby in university. I find this true of "normal" jobs in addition to games jobs: most higher-tier companies (ones that can afford to be selective) care more about what you did with your education than where you got that education or what exactly it was. In regular industry, I've worked aside people with degrees in Accounting, Nuclear Physics, and East Asian Languages and Cultures.
Quote: Original post by Tom Sloper
Quote: Original post by Sturm5
1. I am wondering if getting a Bachelors in Science with a Computing Science degree is sufficient
2. or whether I really do need to go to a game design school,
3. as I have been reading on most sites I come across on Google.
4. Also, would there be an advantage to pursuing a Masters degree after the BSc?

1. Read FAQ 49.
2. Read Regular college vs. game school
More about regular college vs. game school
And still more about regular college vs. game school
Appearances don't matter as much as you think
3. Then stop reading those websites! They're BAD websites!
4. Nobody can foretell your future for you. Go for the Masters if you want to and are able. Don't go for it if you don't want to but are able. Don't go for it if you want to but cannot, Young Jedi!

Thank-you very much! I was poking around Sloperama, which I assume is yours, and I found it to be very useful. I'll definately be checking this a lot over the next few periods of time. And as for the Masters, not even I can foretell my future that far, Master Kenobi.

And thanks to the other replies as well. My mind is more at ease now.

Edit: By asking if a bachelor's in CS is sufficient I meant for the post-secondary education bit ;) Obviously I have a ton to learn/tinker with outside of school as well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement