🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is going to a university the right choice?

Started by
15 comments, last by Tom Sloper 14 years, 2 months ago
So currently I have been going to college for year and half at a junior college and I was told that it was best to just go to a local university and get your degree there in Computer Science instead of going to these schools like Full Sail or Devry. Now I agreed upon that and decided that it would be best for me so I start looking for universitys around me and I settle on one called Columbus State University it's basically a division of University of Georgia. I looked at there degree plan and there several there is a Applied Track, Games Track, and Systems track. So as I'm digging deeper and deeper into the Games Track courses I find that they are teaching Java for game programming. And visual basic and XNA. Why are they teaching these languages and not C++ it may not be officially established that C++ is the game industry standard language but come on it's common sense. They should be teaching C++ and in there game programming courses should be teaching an API like directx or opengl not some XNA crap. It's like trying to major in english and they are teaching you freaking spanish while yes the writing skills you develop from spanish can be applied to english but your learning a different freaking language that has no place there. Now this school is pretty much the only school option except for Devry in Atlanta and Full Sail in Florida. i just want to get your opinions on this.
Advertisement
Java is more concise than C++. It's easier and takes up less space on the screen while teaching.
You'll have to work on other languages and skills you desire to learn in your spare time.
And once you know a few languages, learning another is easy. Not all of them however are easy to master though - C++ being a prime example.

After all, the concepts (algorithms, data structures, methodologies) are what matter most. You can learn to program in almost any language just "by doing", but you normally have to go to school to learn math and stuff.

Edit:
Uhm, to answer your question if going to Uni is the better choice: The consensus here at gdnet seems to be that Uni is a better choice than specialized game programming schools since the topics covered in a general CS curriculum are broader and thus you might become a better, more knowledgable and skillful programmer and also more useful (=better paid) to employers in the long run.
Moved to Breaking In.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote: Original post by Roberts91
1. Is going to a university the right choice?
2. I looked at there degree plan and there several there is a Applied Track, Games Track, and Systems track... It's like trying to major in english and they are teaching you freaking spanish while yes the writing skills you develop from spanish can be applied to english but your learning a different freaking language that has no place there.

1. As opposed to what? As opposed to not getting an advanced education at all? Yes, getting an advanced education is the right choice. Or as opposed to going to a "game school" instead? Check out the forum FAQ -- there are several links about education that you should read.
2. Wow, you need to work A LOT harder at your English classes! Look at the difference between "there" and "their" and "they're," and the proper use of contractions ("you're" versus "your"), and proper use of capitalization, for starters. English communication skills are important in the video game industry, and you haven't been learning them. I'd heard that our young people today were not being taught proper English writing skills, so it may not be your fault but rather the fault of today's American education system.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Why are they teaching these languages and not C++ it may not be officially established that C++ is the game industry standard language but come on it's common sense. They should be teaching C++ and in there game programming courses should be teaching an API like directx or opengl not some XNA crap.

To be honest, the university shouldn't waste their time teaching directx or opengl either. Computer Science shouldn't teach APIs, they should teach algorithms and data structures. It sounds as if the school is a half-assed job training program like DeVry.

Quote:
It's like trying to major in english and they are teaching you freaking spanish while yes the writing skills you develop from spanish can be applied to english but your learning a different freaking language that has no place there.

And you've been a CS major for 18 months? Do you think that C++ has/is always used for programming games? Do you think that it will be in 40 years near the end of your career? University is not job training.

Quote:
Now this school is pretty much the only school option except for Devry in Atlanta and Full Sail in Florida. i just want to get your opinions on this.

Honestly, I question the quality of your current education if you can't make a well formed forum post, or make the distinction between programming language and programming knowledge. That said, I've heard that Georgia Tech has a good CS program. If you insist on going to a game specific school (not recommended), Full Sail is probably your best option there.
Wow you guys are a pretty tough crowd. I expected a more mature response then telling me I have grammer problems and telling me I'm ignorant.
Then you should probably start by asking a more mature question. It's awfully surprising how behaving like an adult results in being treated like one.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Wow you guys are a pretty tough crowd. I expected a more mature response then telling me I have grammer problems and telling me I'm ignorant.

Perception is Reality. You are seen as how you present yourself.

This is a very important lesson and can mean the difference between a read resume and a trashed resume.
Quote: Original post by Promit
Then you should probably start by asking a more mature question. It's awfully surprising how behaving like an adult results in being treated like one.

How was my question immature in any way?

How was my question immature in any way?
Quote: I looked at there degree plan and there several there is a Applied Track, Games Track, and Systems track... It's like trying to major in english and they are teaching you freaking spanish while yes the writing skills you develop from spanish can be applied to english but your learning a different freaking language that has no place there.

Quote: ...grammer...

Enough said.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement