🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game programmer feedback

Started by
6 comments, last by yaustar 14 years ago
Hi,

I have put together my portfolio website at http://www.p-yank.com/

I'm trying to get a job as a gameplay programmer. Please critique it for me and I'm looking forward to both positive and negative feedback.

Thanks for your time.

[Edited by - brainydexter on May 31, 2010 10:03:59 PM]
Advertisement
It looks excellent. I don't doubt you will be getting interviews.
Source code is in a 7z format which is not the norm. Use .rar or .zip.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

You have one video in youtube and the rest on vimeo. Would it be possible to upload the youtube one to vimeo for consistency sake?
Fixed the video to be on vimeo and everything is in .zip format.

What do y'all think now ?
Quote: Original post by brainydexter
Fixed the video to be on vimeo and everything is in .zip format.

What do y'all think now ?

I came, I saw the portfolio,I came.
i don't have any industry experience,but that portfolio does look impressive.
I'm not really well placed to comment on how adequate the portfolio is or otherwise; looks pretty decent to me.

I will, however comment on the presentation. I don't know how important that is, but there are a few things that give me a slightly negative impression, which of course you want to avoid.

(1) Inconsistency of fonts. It hurts my eyes that you've used different fonts for the headings and the main body of the text.
(2) Use of colour. The orange highlighting on the links seems really unnecessary, and quite ugly.
(3) Use of English. From looking at your resume, I note that English is not your first language. This kind of lets you off the hook on this one - if it was, and I was reading your site, I would be slightly put off - as is, it's very acceptable. Even so, I'll provide a couple of minor improvements (Disclaimer - I am English, not American. Our use of the language often differs).

"Kolor, a game mechanic I came up, wherein the player claims other people by coloring them into your own color."

Should at least be fixed to "a game mechanic that I came up with, the". Wherein sounds a little odd. I'd prefer

""Kolor uses a unique game mechanic that I invented; the aim of the game is to capture other players by painting them in your own colour.""

"Revenge of the Tanks (ROT) was inspired by my childhood favorite game, Scorched earth"

""Revenge of the Tanks (ROT) was inspired by a childhood favorite, Scorched earth""

"I wanted to recreate something similar,"

""I wanted to create something similar""
OR
""I wanted to recreate that gameplay""

"I am currently working as a Research Assistant with Dr. Zachary Wartell at UNC, Charlotte. We are trying to reconstruct the terrain surface from a point cloud. I am trying to implement this using the Marching Triangle algorithm. My work with Dr. Wartell has helped me enhance my knowledge in computational geometry, half-edge data structures, delaunay Triangulation and improve upon my understanding of C++. Along the way, I also picked up some simple yet very effective tips such as pre-processed headers."

I have no idea what this is trying to say. I don't know anything about terrain rendering; that could be why I don't understand - given that I have very little understanding of the context, see if this makes sense...

""I am currently working as a Research Assistant with Dr. Wartell at UNC Charlotte in the area of <INSERT AREA HERE>. I've been working on techniques for terrain reconstruction from a point cloud, using an adaptation of the marching triangle algorithm. During the course of this project I've learnt lot about computational geometry, half-edge data structures and Delauney triangulation, and it's been a good chance to further develop my C++ skills.""

I've been developing in C++ and C for years, and I have no idea what "pre-processed header" means. The fact that I don't know what it means leads me to make negative assumptions about your programming experience, and to assume that it means, say,

#include "my_preprocessed_header.h"

and that you only just worked out how to split programs into files. I'm not saying that's the case, of course - it's just that I can almost only attach negative connotations to your learning of preprocessed headers - either you are a very inexperienced C++ programmer, or you are learning to do some serious black magic preprocessor voodoo - either of which is probably a bad thing for a professional C++ developer. (Crufty preprocessor usage is less frowned upon in C circles, of course. In C, it is an essential tool...)

Hope that gives you some things to work on, and hope you find an awesome job soon!

Mathmo
Quote: Original post by Mathmo
I've been developing in C++ and C for years, and I have no idea what "pre-processed header" means. The fact that I don't know what it means leads me to make negative assumptions about your programming experience, and to assume that it means, say,

I think he means pre-compiled header which is pretty common.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement