🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What should I do besides get a degree?

Started by
6 comments, last by Tom Sloper 14 years ago
Hello,

I'm currently studying Computer Animation at University. It's a 4 year BA Degree.

Obviously, I spend a lot of time on my degree, but when I get free time, is there anything else I can be doing that would be helpful to get me into the game design industry?

I've been to conferences for game design and that type of thing, we have a large games and animation festival which gave me a chance to talk to people in the industry already.

I just wondered what are the best options for improving a portfolio or getting some kind of experience that will help you stand out from other candidates.

Thanks,

Misa.

Advertisement
For starters, View Forum FAQ (above). Obviously you don't have to read the stuff about "get a degree."

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by MissMisa
I just wondered what are the best options for improving a portfolio or getting some kind of experience that will help you stand out from other candidates.

Sorry for straight forwardness, but the best option to improve a portfolio is to stop asking about it and start doing it.
Portfolio, network and try to get an internship somewhere for experience.

Read http://leewinder.co.uk/blog/?cat=15 for an article on portfolios. It is primarily for programmers but it is still applicable.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Ah yes, there are some really great resources there. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
I'm already working on my portfolio, doing graphic design and personal projects in animation alongside my degree. I just wondered if there was anything further I can do.

Thank you very much for the link.

I have already done work experience at the BBC, although I know it's not game design, its a reputable company and I spent time in the graphic design suite. My next aim is to try and get a longer placement there. They also wrote me a good reference.
Quote: Original post by yaustar
Portfolio, network and try to get an internship somewhere for experience.

Read http://leewinder.co.uk/blog/?cat=15 for an article on portfolios. It is primarily for programmers but it is still applicable.

I believe any person would want to know how their portfolio should be than start working on one that might not be good.
Quote: Original post by Doctor Shinobi
I believe any person would want to know how their portfolio should be than start working on one that might not be good.

You have to start somewhere.
Most likely, it won't be good at first.
You have to keep working on it.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement