🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Moving before Applying for a job

Started by
20 comments, last by ShinkaFudan 14 years ago
I've always wanted to be a video game programmer, ever since I laid my hands on my first Super Nintendo game. (Starfox just in case you're curious.)

But I didn't really decide to strive for that dream until very recently. As a budding video game programmer, I'm hoping anyone here has advice on what I should do in order to not only get up to the professional level, but also to GET that job. I'm currently a freshman in College, majoring in CS, and I've decided to learn as much code in my free time as possible, starting with C++.

From what I've read on various threads so far, I need to build up some kind of portfolio and create sample codes. Other than that, I'm not exactly sure what I should be concentrating on.

Unfortunately for me, I live in Las Vegas, and the only game companies here are the ones focused on gambling. I do realize that I need to move somewhere else. Are there any suggestions in places I should go? I'm currently looking at California, Texas, and Colorado, as I have either family or friends in those states.

And as for getting the interview. This will probably be more general noob question, as I've never been to an interview, but do I have to "live" in the city/town I'm applying in "before" the interview? Or is flying there a much better option? I'm hoping that flying is the better way to go, as I'm lucky enough to have a parent that is a commercial airline pilot, which means huge discounts for me.

Sorry for all the questions. I wasn't quite sure if this is the right board for these, or if I should have posted them on the "Beginners" board. Either way, I tremendously appreciate any help that you guys can give me. Thanks in advance.

[Edited by - hasonish on June 5, 2010 2:25:28 PM]
--Jason Maurer Budding C++ Programmer
Advertisement
View Forum FAQ (above).
After you've done that, come back with a revised question.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

After reviewing the FAQ's, I apologize for my previous post. I realized that many of my questions could either be answered through research or were only problems due to personal preferences.

However, I'm still hoping for some clarification about having to move before applying and getting interviewed. Would not already living in the city that I'm applying for jobs in negatively affect my chances at getting a job? I understand that I can't possibly get an entry level job in the game industry where I can work remotely. I read in Tom's Lesson #4 that "you must move, BEFORE you can hope to get a game job." But having a girlfriend that doesn't like the idea moving away from family complicates my situation. I don't want to force her to move unless I can guarantee that I'll be able to support us when we get there.

So, is it absolutely necessary to already live in the city before applying for game jobs? Will not living there negatively affect my chances at getting the job?

Thank you again Tom for directing me to the FAQ's, and I apologize for not having looked at them sooner.
Quote: Original post by hasonish
I read in Tom's Lesson #4 that "you must move, BEFORE you can hope to get a game job."
is it absolutely necessary to already live in the city before applying for game jobs?

Since you don't accept the idea on my say-so, hopefully someone else will confirm it for you. What will probably happen is that other people will disagree. Then you'll have conflicting input, and you can believe what you want to believe.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

To confirm what Tom says, if you aren't already in a suitable location, you're at a serious disadvantage for getting hired. Given you and another, otherwise identical candidate living in the target area, why should a company pay for your relocation? If you don't want them to pay for your relocation, why wait until you have applied for the job?

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Quote: Original post by ApochPiQ
Given you and another, otherwise identical candidate living in the target area, why should a company pay for your relocation? If you don't want them to pay for your relocation, why wait until you have applied for the job?

When thinking from the company's perspective, the idea of already living in the target area makes much more sense. I don't know why I didn't realize this sooner, but thank you both for clarifying it for me. I guess the main problem for me would be trying to figure out how to get my situation to work. I guess for a starting idea, my girlfriend could just stay here with her family while I move to, lets say California, and get set up there by myself. When things are stable, I can try and convince her to move out with me.

Either way, I've got a few more years to figure out how I'd do it, and the situation might change by then. I guess this is one of those life problems that you just learn by going through it. Again, thank you for helping me to realize my lack of common sense, hehe.
New town, new woman...

*shrug* just a suggestion
Roger that, lets run like hell!
You could always get a job in the gambling area first, will probably make you a more desirable candidate for a job than a complete no experience graduate.

I'm in the UK so maybe its different here but some employers will offer you a telephone interview if you live far off (probably followed by a personal interview if their interested). Flying out just for an interview might be anoying.

One games company I know here do interviews for 2 whole days so I guess a telephone interview wouldn't be possible.

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.

Quote: Original post by hasonish
I guess for a starting idea, my girlfriend could just stay here with her family while I move to, lets say California, and get set up there by myself. When things are stable, I can try and convince her to move out with me.

Yeah...that probably won't work out to well. It could be quite a while before you are "stable". Not to mention when you get your first eyefull of mostly naked bikini girls.

And what is wrong with getting a job working on gambling machines? Yeah maybe they aren't AAA games but they work the same, usually done in C++, and lot of new ones use some kind of graphics API (usually OpenGL). Cost of living in Vegas is cheaper then where you would have to move to in California to get a job. All in all you could do a lot worse then making poker games for a year or two.

Hehe, Dave, I don't think that is going to work for me.

And Nanoha, I'm definitely considering that, as it would be best if I got some kind of experience in the work place. But, I really do despise gambling. I'd find it very difficult to become enthused in the gaming industry here in Vegas. But beggars can't be choosers, so I'd just have to grin and bear it until I can get into the video game industry.

As for flying out for an interview, I really don't mind that. I've spent a lot of my childhood flying from place to place, since my father is a commercial airline pilot. Not only that, I can get huge discounts for flying, like as low as $10-50 for a short trip to California.

The way a company conducts interviews is up to them, but if I were the interviewer, and I had two candidates with identical qualifications, but one was already in-state, I would go for the one that would be immediately available for work. If I choose the other one, I would have to wait for them to make the move and get settled before I can really expect them to begin working.

It all depends on the company and the situation, but it would be much safer if I just make the move to the target-area, or at least get into the process of moving there, before I start applying for jobs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement