🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking for informational interviews

Started by
4 comments, last by yaustar 14 years ago
Hey everyone,

I've been considering pursuing a job as a game programmer, with longer term hopes of eventually moving into game design. The resources on this site have been tremendous (Tom Sloper - I can't thank you enough for the FAQ).

That being said, I'd really like to get on the phone with a couple people from various segments in the industry (The Blizzards and EAs as well as the 2DBoys and the one man indie shops) for 15-30 minutes. My questions would center around people's backgrounds and their experiences. Ideally, I'd like to talk to programmers and game designers, but I'd also be interested in talking to project managers and producers. I've been having a lot of fun working on my own project in my free time, but, in the interest of figuring out if this is something I want to take to the next level, I'd like to chat with various professionals to get a feel for what it's like to work in the industry.

If anyone in these forums would be willing to chat for a few (or knows someone in one of these positions that would be interested), I would be VERY appreciative.

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
I'd really encourage you to consider email/PMas a form of communication.

I doubt if most folks would be comfortable handing out their phone numbers, even if your intentions are pure. Plus, phone time requires scheduling, possibly across time-zones. Emails and PMs can be written and then answered according to each party's schedule.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Quote: Original post by Ravyne
I'd really encourage you to consider email/PMas a form of communication.

I doubt if most folks would be comfortable handing out their phone numbers, even if your intentions are pure. Plus, phone time requires scheduling, possibly across time-zones. Emails and PMs can be written and then answered according to each party's schedule.

You make a valid point. For what it's worth, I'd be more than happy to give my number and have someone block caller ID and call me or something. Forums, PMs, and e-mail are great, but can be someone sluggish and lack the natural flow of a real conversation. I've been a member of this forum for a few years now with varying degrees of activity over the years, so hopefully it's apparent that I'm not a spammer, hack, etc.

I don't really see scheduling as an issue. People schedule things all the time, and mine is flexible. I can be available and make time if need be :]

I agree with Ravyne. I am much more likely to answer an email then make time for a phone call.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

So.... does that mean I can send you some questions? :]
Any I can comfortably answer.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement