🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Getting Ahead

Started by
5 comments, last by Smarty_T2 14 years ago
Hello all !
I just finished my high school and am having questions regarding what to do next. Whats better to get in the gaming industry as a nice developer, a computer science degree or a degree in game designing, or a bachelors in one and masters in another, or something else ??
Also, can you all please suggest some nice universities\colleges for the same in the US. Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Everywhere on the internet i find different college names, different ideas and a lot of confusion in opting a major. There are a lot of computer science degrees and i am totally confused about what i should take.

Besides that, during my high school days, i designed a small DOS game using turbo C++, which i was taught in school. Heres a link to it...

Ball Buster

Maybe you all don't like it much, but i love this game because it's all out of my own creativity as i made it when i didn't read anything regarding game programming and didn't knew any concept behind.
So i was just wondering whats the next step i should take to start designing a windows based game (By the time i get into a college).

Thanks for all the help in advance !!
Regards,
T2
Advertisement
Hello "tee two," you wrote:
Quote: 1. I just finished my high school and am having questions regarding what to do next.
2. Whats better
3. a computer science degree or a degree in game designing, or a bachelors in one and masters in another, or something else ??
4. Also, can you all please suggest some nice universities\colleges for the same in the US.
5. Everywhere on the internet i find different college names, different ideas and a lot of confusion in opting a major.
6. There are a lot of computer science degrees and i am totally confused about what i should take.
7. So i was just wondering whats the next step i should take to start designing a windows based game (By the time i get into a college).

1. You should get a degree. And in your spare time you should make more games.
2. "Better" is subjective. That means only YOU can decide what's "better" for YOU. Every person has to decide "better" for himself.
3. It doesn't matter.
4. View Forum FAQ (above).
5. So sort through it all using a decision grid (View Forum FAQ).
6. If we give you more, wouldn't it just add to the confusion? Stop saying you're confused. Just say you're working on sorting through it all, and you won't feel so confused.
7. Start by writing a design doc. This question is off topic for this forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I graduated in 2009 and I done a BSc Computer Games Degree - whilst I learnt lots about games I didnt end up becoming a games developer and I found the transition from a games degree to a non-games job a little tough. If I had my time again I would have done the Computer Science as I would have learnt more about Java and databases - something I do now but wasn't taught on the games course.

Think long and hard about the decision you make - the games industry is a very tough nut to crack so you need to a contingency plan if it fails. Look at the course content and ask yourself, if the games thing doesnt work (or you change your mind) will your new acquired skills from X college get you a job!
Thanks you Tom...
2. I meant that which among game prog/computer sc. is better ??
By that i meant, which one can get you directly into gaming industry ?
7. What is a design doc ??

And thank you LionMX...
Although you stated that a game programming degree couldnt end you up with a nice job, i think that game programming degree can get you in building a better portfolio.... isn't it ?? You can spend more time building games if you choose for game programming than you can if you take computer Science. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is what i think.
2. Computer Science degree is better if you want to be a programmer

7. Just pick something you want to make and do it.

-me
Quote: Original post by Smarty_T2
2. I meant that which among game prog/computer sc. is better ??
9. By that i meant, which one can get you directly into gaming industry ?
7. What is a design doc ??

2. I told you, "better" is entirely up to YOU. But if you want to be a programmer, most people recommend a CS degree.
9. NOTHING will get you directly into the game industry. Ask better questions.
7. Look it up here: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson28.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks to both of you....
@Tom, That website was really useful...Thanks
@Palidine, 7. Thats what i have been doing all the time :)
I meant about some nice way to get into windows programming and was suggested on irc to use SDL, which i am doing now...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement