🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Programmer Portfolio

Started by
0 comments, last by ApochPiQ 14 years ago
Hello everyone. My name is Dylan and I'm an 18 year old high school student. I'm going to be starting my CS degree in the fall so I won't be applying for any real jobs for ~4.5 years.

From what I've read, small code samples showing off a clean, elegant, efficient solution to a difficult problem are often a good thing to provide on your resume. But I'm curious, is there any benefit in providing the employer with a closed source, completed, polished game? Not just a 2D arcade game but something of higher complexity like an RTS with networking or a single player 3D RPG.

From my perspective, providing the employer with something like this would show them that I'm serious about game development and I have the passion and skill to complete large, high-quality projects.

So, is a completed game something employers would be interested in seeing? Would they want to have access to the source code too?

Thanks.
Advertisement
Yes, it's a great benefit to provide completed games. As you say, it proves you care about what you're doing, and that you can finish a job. In fact, the more games/demos you can provide, the better! Nice large portfolios are always a plus.

Having source available is important, just in case someone wants to review it - but keep in mind that most places won't bother checking into large code bases without seeing some smaller examples of your skills first. So don't neglect those small, quick-to-digest examples either.

Either way, it sounds like you're on the right track; best of luck and we'll see you in the biz in 4 years [wink]

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement